Idle dropping after two-wire mod - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes
  • 1 Post By OleDirtyDoc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Idle dropping after two-wire mod

Just went ahead a knocked out a two wire mod this morning, cranked it up once to make sure everything worked, cleaned up shop and headed out to the square, about a 6min trip. By the time I made it there, my idle was dropping to 1k and under, and I was giving it throttle to keep it from dying in the street. Checked the voltage at the battery, normal.

I gave the throttle adjust a little twist and found a parking spot, killed it and did my business. About half an hour later I came back to it and had to turn my throttle waaaaay up, maybe two complete turns to get it to backfire, then turn over idling at 4k+ and I had to work it down from there.

Once I got it functional I got it back on the way home, and it idled fine, but it was taking a considerate amount of time to drop back to idle rpm after applying throttle, maybe a lean condition? I also noticed some white smoke coming from the right front filter where the hose has been relocated post-earshave, maybe unrelated; the bike smokes but I've never noticed it coming from there before.

Oil and coolant levels are normal, recently did a full carb rebuild and put 138/42 jets with two shims on the needle (I'm running straight pipes, earshaved, coastered, led signals) idle voltage holds at like 12.6, even cleaned the r/R plugs hoping this would give me a boost but no luck, looking like cheaping out on my last stator finally came back on me.

Maybe the increase in current is combusting more fuel, creating a lean condition? Maybe adjust mix screws? I have had them at 2.5turns since the carb build, and have mostly been able to find a sweet spot with the idle adjust, only even having to adjust that after messing with the fuel (tw200 petcock, adjusting fuel line configuration, tank lift, etc.) And I have been putting the lowest octane in the last few weeks and had to bump it down for that as well, I assume from improved combustion. Which may be why that's my guess here. I know there's like a million things to check, and every bike is an individual, but damn I may just put those two wires back--if it ain't broke, don't fix it style.

Tl;dr: idle dropping after two wire mod on an earshaved, coastered, jetted, straight piped bastard that probably needs a new stator and now it's smoking with a runaway main jet. Fix me plx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 01:21 PM

I have 42 pilot jets and run about 2.5 turns out with pods earshaved and stock exhaust, I would probably richen the idle (more turned-out) if I were you. That sounds exactly like how mine acts when it's tuned too lean at idle. Too rich and it won't hardly start, too lean and the idle hangs and fluctuates greatly based on the temp of the engine

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)

Last edited by ubertalldude; 08-21-2017 at 01:36 PM. Reason: main jets are not pilot jets duh
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 01:28 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
I've got screaming eagle slip ons(little baffling at the least),degoated, marbled,earshaved with k&n pods,and at about 1100ft elevation, am running 140/40 with 2 shims under the needles and about 2 3/4 turns out and runs great.sounds like you're a little lean

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 05:26 PM

is your bike still alive, Doc?

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
is your bike still alive, Doc?
runs when I charge the battery but balancer bushings are toast and needs stator but otherwise it's a strong motor

took this pick a week ago
Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk
ubertalldude likes this.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so after a few days of experimenting, I've got it close (also 2 3/4 turns out on mix screw), so I'll probably end up putting the 42/142s back in there this weekend. But why would the two wire mod have caused this? Has it improved my spark so much it can burn more fuel so is now running lean? Sure only moderately improved the running votage, if at all.

And now it seems that I have to gradually roll onto the throttle to maintain speed. It's barely noticeable, and it's not bogging, but it just doesn't feel quite right. I'll check the vacuum hoses and air filters to see if their loose before I roll out this morning, but otherwise I'm not sure where the change came from. Unless I really did have some hangup in the junction box that I was unknowingly compensating for, and now must equalize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement