Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
LED head light bulb

I was curious if anyone on the forum has converted there vn750 h4 halogen bulb to LED. I was looking on ebay and there are vendors posting LED conversion kits that come in pairs and use same style H4 bulb but are LED with built in fans as well as a small module box. They claim to use 1/2 the amperage that stock does. I am not sure if there is really enough room to install the bulb and I have concerns of heat build up in the bucket. Would appreciate any comments

!995 1989 VN750 Both bikes have identical accessories. Rear facing cameras with windshield mounted color monitors. Hard saddle bags. Tire pressure monitors. All recommended mods. Removable rear trunks with alarms. Ground facing LED Kawasaki logo illuminate with brake lights .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

conversions have been done, there is enough room for most of them. the bottom of the headlight bucked is open, so airflow shouldnt be a problem.

biggest issue is you have to bypass the RLU (reserve lighting unit) in order for it to work properly. it senses how much current is being drawn, and if its not enough (makes it think there is a blown bulb), it switches to the other filament. it then causes constant switching between the high and low beams

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That was one of my concerns. Thank you I will stay stock less problems

!995 1989 VN750 Both bikes have identical accessories. Rear facing cameras with windshield mounted color monitors. Hard saddle bags. Tire pressure monitors. All recommended mods. Removable rear trunks with alarms. Ground facing LED Kawasaki logo illuminate with brake lights .

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 02:37 PM

Garage
Buddy,

Follow the directions in the link below from Iceshot. Per the directions I bought a new headlight bucket and a sealed LED cheap "Daymaker" headlight. Issues I ran into? First the I needed to add some garden hose washers to the inside of the bucket screw mounts. There was too much play otherwise. The other issue I ran into concerned by-passing my RLU. I first completed the blue wire mod that bypasses the headlight relay at the junction box so that the headlight is on when the ignition is turned on. To eliminate the RLU all the write ups and videos I saw told me to jumper the blue wire to the blue/yellow wire. No headlight at all. I had to jumper blue to blue/orange. Not sure why mine was different from everyone else but it works. I've not taken pictures yet but I can tell you that not only does it make the bike look a little more modern, it really lights up the road.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...sion-pics.html
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the information . I don't want to work that hard right now. Maybe in the future

Buddy

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 10:52 AM

Garage
I would not use the drop in H4 LED headlight bulb (though if you search, I've probably recommended it in the past). Because of the fundamental difference in the way an LED outputs light compared to a filament bulb, they won't focus properly in a stock reflector. I'd either use a higher wattage filament bulb (obviously that has its own issues to keep an eye on) or do a complete headlight replacement as suggested above. If the entire headlight unit is LED from the start, then you're much more likely to have a focused light output with good cutoffs that give you the lighting you desire without blinding other drivers.

1986 VN750 27k miles
1999 EN500 32k
1983 GL650i in pieces. Someday it will ride again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement