1994 750 Vulcan Electical Issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

1994 750 Vulcan Electical Issue

I Own A 1994 Vulcan 750. I Haven't Started It For 4 Years And Today (oct 15th 2005) I Took It Out Of My Mother's Garage, Emptied The Gas Tank Of It's Old Fuel, Put In Fresh Oil And Spark Plugs. The Problem Is That The "regulator" (the Gadget That Sits Just Below The Battery With The Plug That Fits Into It)... Well That Plug Is What Was Damaged.... The Battery Acid Dripped Out, Onto This Gadget / Regulator Or Heatsink.. It Looks Like A Heatsink (i Really Dont Know What It Is)... Plug... But It Burnt Out Because Of The Dripping Battery Fluid. I Was Wondering If I Could Start The Motorcycle Without A Battery By Just Popping The Clutch ???

Can This Bike Run That Way For A Short Period Of Time Just So I Can Let It Run Awhile.

Is This Possible ?? Thank You !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 06:12 AM

Re: 1994 750 Vulcan Electical Issue

This is days after your question, so you may have already tried it, but here's my advice.

I wouldn't run it if the regulator/rectifier plug is damaged and there's no battery in the bike, but yes, you can push-start a Vulcan 750 without much problem. I've done it on numerous occasions since I've been having charging problems on my 2003 model. I can even push-start it by myself if it's flat ground or sloping downhill a little, when the engine is still warm from running (like at gas stops or poker run stops). I don't think it will work without a battery in the bike, but I haven't ever tried it. I've always had a weak battery in it at least.

If the wires get shorted out in the damaged R/R plug, you may end up screwing your whole charging system by trying to start it, so I wouldn't do it.

CD in Frederick, OK
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I know from personal experience the VN750 will NOT run without a battery installed.

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The battery acid is one of the reasons the group recommends a sealed battery. You can dissconnect the regulator from the stator (the connector with 3 yellow wires) and start/run the bike for a little while. You must have a good battery to do so because this disconnects the stator and no electrical power will be generated so the bike must run off the battery. Doing this should not damage you stator if you make sure none of the yellow wires short two anything including each other. Check the files section here or on yahoo on the stator tests just to be sure (I think running without the stator hooked up to the regulator is part of the test).

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement