Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
RLU Bypass Blues

I have followed the procedure for

Guide to bypassing the reserve lighting unit (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...ting-unit.html).

At the RLU module connector, I jumped the blue wire to the blue/yellow wire, start up the bike and no headlight at all. Unless I manage to get the Hi-Lo switch in between hi & lo, then I'll get a high beam only. If i connect the RLU back up in the stock configuration the headlight works but with a flicker at low RPM. Its a nuisance more than anything because I know I should be able to get LED headlight to play nice with the bike. Am I missing something with this mod? My Vulcan is a 1995, could there be a wiring difference from the sticky's configuration and my bike?

One other thing that I have noticed about my bike is that the hi & low beams seem to be wired backwards. If the button is pushed to Hi the low beam configuration is lit. However, if I push the button to Lo then extra LEDs turn on in what would appear to e the beam configuration.

Otherwise I love the LED headlight. Not only does it illuminate the road better, it just looks better.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassace View Post
I have followed the procedure for

Guide to bypassing the reserve lighting unit (https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...ting-unit.html).

At the RLU module connector, I jumped the blue wire to the blue/yellow wire, start up the bike and no headlight at all. Unless I manage to get the Hi-Lo switch in between hi & lo, then I'll get a high beam only. If i connect the RLU back up in the stock configuration the headlight works but with a flicker at low RPM. Its a nuisance more than anything because I know I should be able to get LED headlight to play nice with the bike. Am I missing something with this mod? My Vulcan is a 1995, could there be a wiring difference from the sticky's configuration and my bike?

One other thing that I have noticed about my bike is that the hi & low beams seem to be wired backwards. If the button is pushed to Hi the low beam configuration is lit. However, if I push the button to Lo then extra LEDs turn on in what would appear to e the beam configuration.

Otherwise I love the LED headlight. Not only does it illuminate the road better, it just looks better.

Any help would be appreciated.
The pic I promised you will be up in a few hours, been extremely busy last couple of days. I suspect you jumped the wrong wires. Can you post a pic of the wires you jumped?

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

Cobra Full Exhaust (Single Sided)
M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Sunpie 7" LED Projector Headlight / KZ750-B 76-79 Bucket & Trim
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
Aftermarket Grips & Mirror's
Full Chrome Tach / Speedometer
Mobil 1 75-90 Synthetic Gear Oil
Rotella T6 / Bosch 3323 Filter
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I will take a picture tonight and post it up

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 02:44 PM

Garage
Your beam selector switch is backwards when the RLU is in place? Has it been that way since you got it?

Double check to make sure the blue wire is jumped to the blue/yellow wire, not the blue/orange wire. It's possible those two wires got switched at the molex connector ...

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 10:38 PM

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Your beam selector switch is backwards when the RLU is in place? Has it been that way since you got it?

Double check to make sure the blue wire is jumped to the blue/yellow wire, not the blue/orange wire. It's possible those two wires got switched at the molex connector ...
I bought the bike from my brother who bought it used for his now ex-wife. From day one I rode with the selector on Hi because Lo seemed to be brighter, and focused higher up (when facing my garage door). I plan to do some wire checking this weekend because it clearly lights the second LED element with I switch from hi to lo. Then turns off the extra LEDs when I switch to hi.

Iceshot, thank you for the pictures. I jumped those exact wires, just like you. Heck I even tried 2 gauges of wire and a paperclip to make sure it wasn't something simple. If I remove the connector jump the solid blue to the blue/yellow the start the bike I have no head light no matter what position on the selector. Plug it back into the RLU and we have light selectable on hi-lo. I've been an electronics tech for a very long time and the mod matches the schematics and should work as described. I got that .00001% that doesn't work lol.

I'll post any new information I find. For now it works, just flickers a little at low RPM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassace View Post
I bought the bike from my brother who bought it used for his now ex-wife. From day one I rode with the selector on Hi because Lo seemed to be brighter, and focused higher up (when facing my garage door). I plan to do some wire checking this weekend because it clearly lights the second LED element with I switch from hi to lo. Then turns off the extra LEDs when I switch to hi.

Iceshot, thank you for the pictures. I jumped those exact wires, just like you. Heck I even tried 2 gauges of wire and a paperclip to make sure it wasn't something simple. If I remove the connector jump the solid blue to the blue/yellow the start the bike I have no head light no matter what position on the selector. Plug it back into the RLU and we have light selectable on hi-lo. I've been an electronics tech for a very long time and the mod matches the schematics and should work as described. I got that .00001% that doesn't work lol.

I'll post any new information I find. For now it works, just flickers a little at low RPM.
Really odd, not sure why yours is behaving this way. Both me and One1 have done this mod and had no functionality issues after removing the RLU unit and jumping the wires. Works as if it was a stock issued headlamp.

There has got to be a explanation for whats going on, let us know what you find / discover.

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:31 PM

Garage
Got to love chasing the wires! Doing the blue-wire mod would be useful for doing diagnostics without having to start the bike to energize the headlight. Good luck!

Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally got to do some troubleshooting. The center connector (red/yel) of the H4 socket is the Lo beam, the left connector (blk/yel) is ground, and the right connector (red/blk) is Hi beam. All connectors are wired correctly for the headlight. However, the switch when flipped to Hi I have voltage on the center contact. When the switch is flipped Lo I have on the right contact. Which leads me to the Hi/Lo switch being wired backwards.

I've included a picture of my switch. I have a yellow wire that is not accounted for in the service manual diagram (from the ignition maybe?). If I understand the wiring of the Hi/Lo switch it would appear that my red/black & red/yellow wires are switched. Which would account for the Lo beam on the Hi setting and vise versa. Does anyone know if i'm correct?

My switch Wiring Diagram

Yellow None
Blue/Orange Blue/Orange
Red/Black Red/Yellow
Blue/Yellow Blue/Yellow
Red/Yellow Red/Black

Thank you all in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1861.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	40249  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 AM

Garage
Well, I opened mine up and it's wired just like yours, yellow wire and everything.
Can't find the yellow wire on any schematics either. Wonder if that wire even connects up to anything on the harness at the molex connector...

Service Manual Download
Sponsored Links
Advertisement