Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Had to happen....

Decided to take the 'ol Vulcan out for a spin.Drove 10-12 miles from the house stopped at a STOP sign noticed my RPMs seemed a bit low...bike quit.Hit starter button heard "rrrr,rrrr....rrrr".Was like What the HE double L!!Sat there with seat off (figured "passer by" would think OK hes got some bike issue...not pulled over using cell whatever....) Twenty minutes in the 90 degree heat a young couple (20's?) pulled up said "You need help??" I was needing just a jump I figured...they had cables,got my jump...hauled a$$ home!!Put that bitch on charger...hope that fixes quit/start issue.Been driving it NO ISSUES for like few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 07:57 PM

I'd guess, if the battery isn't shorted internally, then the charging system is down.

If jump starting from a car, leave the car engine off. Supposedly, the running car can cook the r/r.
Paulywog likes this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 04:19 PM

Feel for ya

I feel for you man. My bike left me stranded several times as I found out the PO sold me a bike with a bad stator. Then I found out wet batteries don't like being discharged over and over as mine bit the dust after less than a year. Now I am riding on a new AGM with no stator and I still have to wonder if I will make it home. I am seriously thinking about the small block chevy altenator mod. I have a brand new chrome alternator just sitting in the garage. If I was sure it would not leak oil where the shaft comes out the sidecover I would do it for sure. Do that, and my charging problems would be OVER FOR GOOD.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/70-projec...style-%3B.html

Sadly, the pics are broken on this whole thread for me ?

1985 VN700A
FYI :
Kawasaki introduced the 750 cc class Vulcan worldwide in 1985. Due to tariff restrictions in the United States on bikes over 700 cc imported from Japan, the initial US spec model was limited to 699 cc. The tariff was lifted in 1986 and the Vulcan went to 749cc.

Last edited by Vulcanlover; 07-18-2017 at 04:29 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 04:24 PM
2014 KLR 650!

This

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lugnut1009 likes this.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 04:33 PM

I agree

I agree, and I carry a jump pack with me, it is just a hassle not knowing when you will die and hopefully have a place to get off the road to jump it. If I don't do the external alternator mod, my second choice is putting a second, smaller AGM where the goats belly used to be, switched so I can just switch over to it to get me home if my main battery dies.

One of the reasons I hesitate to just replace stator is that I finally got ahold of the PO and he said he just paid 500 bucks to have the stator changed, showed me the receipt, and it lasted 2 months.

1985 VN700A
FYI :
Kawasaki introduced the 750 cc class Vulcan worldwide in 1985. Due to tariff restrictions in the United States on bikes over 700 cc imported from Japan, the initial US spec model was limited to 699 cc. The tariff was lifted in 1986 and the Vulcan went to 749cc.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

That's a cool little jump pack...I actually have room to carry cables...good info about the "donor" not running.Charged battery about 6-7 hours...starts fine since!!!(3-4 starts so far.)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

OK ordered two of those damn things!!Goofy...you work for Amazon??...LOL.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 04:15 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanlover View Post
I agree, and I carry a jump pack with me, it is just a hassle not knowing when you will die and hopefully have a place to get off the road to jump it. If I don't do the external alternator mod, my second choice is putting a second, smaller AGM where the goats belly used to be, switched so I can just switch over to it to get me home if my main battery dies.

One of the reasons I hesitate to just replace stator is that I finally got ahold of the PO and he said he just paid 500 bucks to have the stator changed, showed me the receipt, and it lasted 2 months.
how's your rectifier and it's connections?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 12:22 AM

New R/R

Hey Doc,

I put on a new stock R/R, the plug was fried, I put new terminal ends on the wires. I also removed the bullet connectors on the stator wires and soldered them. I checked every other electrical connection on the bike for corrosion or burnt signs. I did the two wire mod and the blue wire mod which helped my starting big time. I took the JB off and it looks fine, cleaned the two plugs on the JB real good with contact cleaner and the plugs look fine. I have AC output on all three stator wires but it is half what it should be and for some reason does not go up with throttle increase. The PO said he just paid a bike shop to fix it and has no idea what stator they put in it. I have a feeling that they put in a used stator, since there was no grommet on the stator wires where they leave the sidecase. Don't new stators have the grommet on the wires when you buy one?

1985 VN700A
FYI :
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:30 AM

Yes, new stators come with a new grommet. What kind of shop does that sort of work?!!

What number did you get for AC volts? What do you get for DC volts at the battery now?

Thanks for the feedback on the Two-Wire Mod.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement