7" LED Projector Headlamp Conversion with pics! - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceshot View Post
It was necessary to change out the entire headlight bucket assembly to fit this headlamp. Stock VN750 headlight bucket & trim wont work. I used a Kawasaki KZ750-B (1976-1979) headlight assembly with the Sunpie LED projector headlamp. Specs on the replacement bucket are as follows...

8 inch Assembly Diameter
7 inch Lens Diameter
7 1/2 width at mounting points

Paid $52 shipped for a brand new fully metal chrome headlight assembly (bucket, trim, mounting rings). (Note) You will reuse the mounting rubber inserts and bolts /nuts from your factory bucket. See link below...

Z1 900, KZ650, KZ750, KZ900, KZ1000 ,H2 ,KH Chrome Bucket Head Light Assembly | eBay

Here's a "How To" video on using the Kawasaki KZ750-B (1976-1979) headlight assembly with the LED projector headlight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-GI4-VdCIA
So I am seeing several of the used buckets available, but no trim or bezel rings on eBay. I guess we bought the world out of them. Is there a secondary source that you would recommend? I found this site, but it doesn't look legit. https://jessbikes.com/product_info.php?products_id=274

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
Ear Shave, K&N Filters, Mean Streak Seat, AGM battery, Blue Wire Mod, Pick-up Coil Mod, Timing Advance Mod, NGK Iridium Plugs and Wire, LEDs, Bed Liner Paint Job, Over-sized Tires, New Brakes, New Fork Seals, Progressive Springs, Kick Stand Mod, Highway Pegs, 40/140 No Shims, Vance & Hines Exhaust, New Grips, Extra Wide Emgo Handle Bars
John 8:44, REV 2:9, REV 3:9 - If you were kicked out of 109 bars, would you think the problem was you, or the 109 bars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSattler View Post
So I am seeing several of the used buckets available, but no trim or bezel rings on eBay. I guess we bought the world out of them. Is there a secondary source that you would recommend? I found this site, but it doesn't look legit. https://jessbikes.com/product_info.php?products_id=274
Got you covered...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Head-Light-...H/164044802216

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

Cobra Full Exhaust (Single Sided)
M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Sunpie 7" LED Projector Headlight / KZ750-B 76-79 Bucket & Trim
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
Aftermarket Grips & Mirror's
Full Chrome Tach / Speedometer
Mobil 1 75-90 Synthetic Gear Oil
Rotella T6 / Bosch 3323 Filter
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 09:29 AM

Dude, you're a saint. The kit I found like this was from Poland. By the time it arrives here, the wife and I would probably have a kid, and they'd be graduating.

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
Ear Shave, K&N Filters, Mean Streak Seat, AGM battery, Blue Wire Mod, Pick-up Coil Mod, Timing Advance Mod, NGK Iridium Plugs and Wire, LEDs, Bed Liner Paint Job, Over-sized Tires, New Brakes, New Fork Seals, Progressive Springs, Kick Stand Mod, Highway Pegs, 40/140 No Shims, Vance & Hines Exhaust, New Grips, Extra Wide Emgo Handle Bars
John 8:44, REV 2:9, REV 3:9 - If you were kicked out of 109 bars, would you think the problem was you, or the 109 bars?

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 12:47 PM

Nice and informative post
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 03:03 PM

In my earlier question below, I should have made it clear that I don't want to simply replace the halogen bulb with an LED bulb, I actually want to replace the whole inner of the headlight housing, ideally with a chrome finished LED assembly instead of black so as to keep the original look of the bike.

I've read through this post and should know the answer to my question, but am second guessing myself. My question is simply whether there is an LED headlight unit on the market that is a simple, direct, no modification necessary, replacement for the stock halogen unit (2005 VN750)?
If not, then is there a unit that will work with the standard headlight housing with some minor modification, and if so, what is the modification required?
Thanks.

Last edited by LMWollen; 05-03-2020 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Clarification
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMWollen View Post
I've read through this post and should know the answer to my question, but am second guessing myself. My question is simply whether there is an LED headlight unit on the market that is a simple, direct, no modification necessary, replacement for the stock halogen unit (2005 VN750)?
If not, then is there a unit that will work with the standard headlight housing with some minor modification, and if so, what is the modification required?
Thanks.
I've read that the reflector and/or lens is wrong for an LED. But some here have posted decent results.

Myself, I had decided to watch for one of the 7" Harley Daymaker, reflector, lens, and bulb all together.. Kinda pricey but can catch them on goodwill or ebay if you know what you're looking for.

Looking around, there's all sorts now, Daymaker, Moonmaker, X-rayer, you name it... https://www.google.com/search?q=7%22...=firefox-b-1-d

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

yea, the housings for incandescent lamps (normal tungsten) are not shaped correctly for the led 'replacement' bulbs.. the light output pattern of the led's is totally different and wont properly focus down the road.

other thing to remember is that led's draw less power than normal bulbs, and the reserve lighting unit (RLU) will think your bulb is burned out, try to switch to the other filament, sense its burned out, and switch back and forth. you would have to bypass the RLU in order to use an led (even the purposely built led housings/bulbs) on the motorcycle

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 10:15 PM
Diesel Tech

The reflector is wrong, but its still FAR better than any incandescent bulb. Totally happy with my LED swap.
RLU should be bypassed anyway, useless "feature" that just adds more points of failure.

1989 VN750
Highway blaster

2006 Honda Rebel Diesel
100mpg, low and slow

1982 Mercedes 300D
Modified engine, 4-speed manual
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 01:52 AM

That's exactly what I want to do also, but I keep reading that the 7" units don't fit the VN750 housing properly (or perhaps at all?), So I was hoping to hear from someone who had done the replacement without changing out the outer housing.
Thanks.
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 02:25 AM

I did dig into it at one point and was ready to buy a 7" light. Might have to modify something to mount on the Kawi headlight shell. I could be having some brain fade, but I'm pretty sure it's a 7" light, getting harder for me research and double check things I think I remember.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement