7" LED Projector Headlamp Conversion with pics! - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 09:54 AM

Garage
Iceshot, did you or any one that has attempted this mod have to make adjustments to the original mount for the headlight to the bike? This basket is thinner than the OEM basket. I didn't know if washers were need to take up the space or was the original mounting hardware modified?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassace View Post
Iceshot, did you or any one that has attempted this mod have to make adjustments to the original mount for the headlight to the bike? This basket is thinner than the OEM basket. I didn't know if washers were need to take up the space or was the original mounting hardware modified?
The KZ750 bucket I used fits great. I reused the stock headlight bucket rubber inserts, bolts, and washers that attach the bucket to the bike. Nothing additional required.

*** Will fix the images later today, F**k Photobucket and their reckless selfish policy that has broken virtually every internet forum and ruined decades of critical how to information!! ***

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

Cobra Full Exhaust (Single Sided)
M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Sunpie 7" LED Projector Headlight / KZ750-B 76-79 Bucket & Trim
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
Aftermarket Grips & Mirror's
Full Chrome Tach / Speedometer
Mobil 1 75-90 Synthetic Gear Oil
Rotella T6 / Bosch 3323 Filter

Last edited by Iceshot; 07-28-2017 at 01:13 PM.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Images fixed!! Consider using Cubeupload for hosting pics and dump Photobucket!

https://cubeupload.com/

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:08 PM

Garage
Iceshot, one last question ... I hope. First thank you for blazing the trail on this, I had to add some garden hose washers to take up some slack in the headlight bucket. Got all of that done until I hit the RLU bypass. The light will come on and flicker when the RLU is connected. However if I pull the connector and jump the blue/blue yellow with out reconnecting the RLU connector the headlight will not turn on. Did you jump the wires from the back side and then reconnect the RLU? If I put the bypass wire into the pins to connect blu & blu/yel and I put the low beam/hi beam in the middle of both, he light turns on

Thanks again

Last edited by bassace; 07-29-2017 at 12:21 AM.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassace View Post
Iceshot, one last question ... I hope. First thank you for blazing the trail on this, I had to add some garden hose washers to take up some slack in the headlight bucket. Got all of that done until I hit the RLU bypass. The light will come on and flicker when the RLU is connected. However if I pull the connector and jump the blue/blue yellow with out reconnecting the RLU connector the headlight will not turn on. Did you jump the wires from the back side and then reconnect the RLU? If I put the bypass wire into the pins to connect blu & blu/yel and I put the low beam/hi beam in the middle of both, he light turns on

Thanks again
I pulled the RLU unit (permanently) and it's currently sitting in a box of parts. I jumped the connector with paperclip (temporary until I make a afternoon soldering in my new SH-775 R/R). Ironically, I plan to install the new R/R where the old RLU unit was mounted (fits perfect with bracket). I'll pull my bike out and take a pic of the jumped wire for you to compare.

Post up a couple of pics for us all to see! You can upload them to https://cubeupload.com/ and use the direct link provided to "insert image" into the reply post.

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 05:15 PM

Nice, I actually did this conversion as well. I made an adapter for the headlight bucket and used a 1/16 inch thick rubber gasket on the outside for my conversion. Easily one of the best mods that I have done to this bike. Great write up Iceshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HeadlightAdaptorInstalled2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	39921   Click image for larger version

Name:	HeadlightAdaptorInstalled1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	39929   Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDHeadlight.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	39937  
Spockster likes this.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:03 PM
I'm a rider

Garage
It seems like the benefits on this particular mod are for increased light output only. i'd like to do an LED swap but I would need much more efficient LEDs than that. Have you encountered any other LED conversion's that are less power hungry? I'm starting to think I'm going to end up having to bite the bullet and go to a square headlight. Cree sells a six LED element that is equally as bright as that headlight and only burns 18 W so I'm curious if there are indeed any round lights that are lower powered. I bought the flood version of them but they have a focused beam version as well. Here's what they look like on my Fourtrax. They were $24 shipped and 18w power consumption. The lumens are straight rediculous for 18w led. The design on this particular led housing wouldn't look the part on the vulcan, but i know what leds its using so there may be other options that aren't nasty looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0758.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	39953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0761.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	39961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	39969  
Spockster likes this.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by One1 View Post
It seems like the benefits on this particular mod are for increased light output only. i'd like to do an LED swap but I would need much more efficient LEDs than that. Have you encountered any other LED conversion's that are less power hungry? I'm starting to think I'm going to end up having to bite the bullet and go to a square headlight. Cree sells a six LED element that is equally as bright as that headlight and only burns 18 W so I'm curious if there are indeed any round lights that are lower powered. I bought the flood version of them but they have a focused beam version as well. Here's what they look like on my Fourtrax. They were $24 shipped and 18w power consumption. The lumens are straight rediculous for 18w led. The design on this particular led housing wouldn't look the part on the vulcan, but i know what leds its using so there may be other options that aren't nasty looking.
The LED Sunpie headlamp is 40W vs 55W stock halogen. Modest improvement on power efficiency, significant improvement on light thrown down the road. The box shaped headlamp is a interesting idea and I agree it seems to throw a lot of light for a 18w headlamp. My concerns in using the square headlamp are as follows...

1) Not D.O.T. approved. This "could" present a wide array of potential issues. Such as: police citations, beam pattern that does not conform well to working on street roads, blinding oncoming drivers, headlamp while crazy bright out in front of the bike fails to project light "brightly" down the road, and so on.

2) Mounting challenges

3) Aiming it properly

4) While subject to personal taste, making the square headlamp look aesthetically pleasing and flow with the VN750's look. Might work / flow better on a VN750 redone as a cafe racer or bobber?

If you wind up attempting to take a swing at this, very curious as to the outcome (pics please!) and hearing what you had to do to make it work for you.

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
Nice, I actually did this conversion as well. I made an adapter for the headlight bucket and used a 1/16 inch thick rubber gasket on the outside for my conversion. Easily one of the best mods that I have done to this bike. Great write up Iceshot.
Looks great HardRock! Happy to see this thread inspired you to do the mod to your VN750. I like seeing the blacked out headlamp version you went with (vs chrome) for contrast. Good idea on the rubber washer and larger metal washer for inside the bucket. Big difference on the amount of light it throws down the road eh?

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:36 PM
I'm a rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceshot View Post
The LED Sunpie headlamp is 40W vs 55W stock halogen. Modest improvement on power efficiency, significant improvement on light thrown down the road. The box shaped headlamp is a interesting idea and I agree it seems to throw a lot of light for a 18w headlamp. My concerns in using the square headlamp are as follows...

1) Not D.O.T. approved. This "could" present a wide array of potential issues. Such as: police citations, beam pattern that does not conform well to working on street roads, blinding oncoming drivers, headlamp while crazy bright out in front of the bike fails to project light "brightly" down the road, and so on.

2) Mounting challenges

3) Aiming it properly

4) While subject to personal taste, making the square headlamp look aesthetically pleasing and flow with the VN750's look. Might work / flow better on a VN750 redone as a cafe racer or bobber?

If you wind up attempting to take a swing at this, very curious as to the outcome (pics please!) and hearing what you had to do to make it work for you.
1. Agree about the non DOT, in California it would definitely be an issue and other states that are anal about the inspections. In TN we do not have inspection and they don't seem to care what you do (thankfully) so i have a lot more options on what to do.

2. I have a welder and tools for metal working so I personally won't have any challenges there.

3. See 3. The leds that are spot leds instead of flood are extremely sharp focused so choosing the correct one will handle that.

4. I can't imagine anything but round would look good, but we will see what's out there. Since the halogen uses the mirror to reflect and the led uses a lens to focus we may have options of a retrofit into the stock housing using a false euro lens, which are clear.

I love how yours turned out, I'd only be doing the mod to save power on the stator.... so I'm focused on using these 3 watt smt leds or maybe 5 watt in an array on a spot beam mount (as they are sold).

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement