Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Electrical Puzzle

Hi, I would like to start off by saying, yes, I did do a search first.

I'm having a few electrical issues with my 98 Vulcan 750 and unfortunately I believe the symptoms I'm having are compounding of a few issues so I'm turing to the Forum masters to suggest where I should start

Let me start by mentioning my most recent PITA, I recently changed out the stock H4 for a LED and I must say I am very impressed with the light output. Only problem is, it only really works on Hi. With the selector in Lo, it will stay in lo till I rev the bike up and then automatically switches the bulb to hi and illuminates the headlight light indicator. This will constantly flash while I dirve unless I leave it in Hi, in which case It stays on hi.

I'm sure this could have something to do with the fact I have low voltage on the bike. I did a test today and the battery was at about 12.7v at about 4000rpm.

I also have random electrical blunders regarding my signals. the left front turns off and on but the right front turns on then off.......

I know the bike has been modded. I cannot comment on which R/R is in there, but the pipes definitely stay away from the area of concern on stock setups.

so basically I'm asking what the bike would be sensing to turn off my lo and switch to hi, and how to correct/bypass it.

I'm also looking for the best way to start to tackle the voltage issues on the bike. I have chased these before on other bikes and ended up with issues for the R/R and the stator. I have opened up all the connectors to inspect for corrosion and loose connectors and found nothing. whats my next step?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarYar View Post

Let me start by mentioning my most recent PITA, I recently changed out the stock H4 for a LED and I must say I am very impressed with the light output. Only problem is, it only really works on Hi. With the selector in Lo, it will stay in lo till I rev the bike up and then automatically switches the bulb to hi and illuminates the headlight light indicator. This will constantly flash while I dirve unless I leave it in Hi, in which case It stays on hi.

whenever changing the headlight from halogen to LED, you will run into issues with the reserve lighting unit. basically, it monitors current flow thru the bulbs filaments, and if one of the filaments opens up (blows), it will force the other on, and light the warning light on dash. Since LED's do not draw enough current, it will constantly think there is an error condition. surprised yours isnt flashing between high and low, as thats the common symptom.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:20 AM

Garage
For the headlight problem, the Reserve Lighting Unit detects low current as a filament blowout on the currently selected high/low beam, so the reduced current of an LED headlight relative to the traditional filament can confuse the circuit. You can bypass the RLU so that your high/low switch directly controls the circuit.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...ting-unit.html

Not sure what you mean is wrong with the signals. on/off vs off/on?

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks everyone. Ive got it sorted out. but still looking for a bit of feedback on the stator. and R/R

If I had known the name of the RLU the search would have been more useful lol.

To assist anyone else who comes across this issue regarding aftermarket lighting, ill post the solution here that worked for me.

As others had stated, the RLU needs to be bypassed. I just put a Jumper between the BL and BL/Y lines and that solved all problems with the lighting. The RLU because I struggled to find the location is located on the right side of the bike beside the battery.

I believe the issue with my signals is someone replaced the front 1 with a 2 wire as opposed to a 3 wire and thus it was putting voltage back through the system. Ive corrected it for now by disconnecting the Black/Yellow from both and connecting the fronts more properly. they do not glow as running lights but ill be replacing them soon.

I also went through the stator checks and I think they appear good. I cleaned the connectors a little also and will be removing the connectors when I get a chance. here are my numbers
Bike off
A:. resistance (case to stator wires),
A_n/a__ohm, B_n/a ohm,C_N/A___ohm no circuit to ground

B: resistance (between the three poles)

AB_0.8_ ohm, BC__0.9__ohm, AC__0.8__ohm

C: AC

Bike running
C: ac volts (between the three poles)

AB_~30_acV , AC _~30_acV,BC__~30__acV

the ~30Vac seems low but ill retest later with the connectors removed
also the 0.8 ohms between poles seems slightly higher then optimal but again ill retest without the connectors

I checked the battery and its now at 13.75ish at 4000RPM so possibly the connectors were a bit of an issue. only dropped to 13.4 when bike was off.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 01:18 PM

13.75 @ 4k is decent charging, I'd say. If you have the stock R/R it's worth upgrading to a MOSFET or Series, but for right now the stock one seems ok.

Like you said, contact cleaner or something might help out for the time being.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) – NGK Iridiums – MCCT Conversion – Slipstreamer S03 Windshield – Custom Extended Backrest – Custom Highway Bars – MOSFET R/R – LED Underglow – Volt+USB In-Dash – Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod – Satin Black Engine Paint – Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement