Headlight toggle - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Headlight toggle

Given the frequency of difficult starts some of us have with our bikes...has anyone put a toggle switch on the headlight to turn it off during starts? it always bothered me that the headlight came on while trying to start the bike, robbing power from the starting process. would that even make much difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Actually, when you turn the switch to start the bike, the headlight is off until the motor makes a certain amount of revolutions (not sure how many) or is running.
If your headlight is coming on when you put the key in the on position, then your PO did something to bypass that circuit.

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery
25,100 miles as of 04/20/2010
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer19 View Post
Actually, when you turn the switch to start the bike, the headlight is off until the motor makes a certain amount of revolutions (not sure how many) or is running.
If your headlight is coming on when you put the key in the on position, then your PO did something to bypass that circuit.
i thought something i was typing didn't quite sound right...im basing this off memory as im not in the same state as my bike right now. maybe what im thinking of is since often times it takes several tries of cranking to start the bike, after the first try, the light is then on, robbing power from the subsequent cranks

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Lebanon, NJ

Hmm, I see you have the Big Crank and Iridium plugs like me but, mine turns over immediately; even if its sat for 3 weeks. Plus, once I'm riding and for the most part the RPMs are above 2,000, she's charging.

Are you using a full choke on start up? Perhaps something else is going on and other will chime in.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You have a switch already right in front of you. just turn the key to "off" then back to "on" before each starting attempt and the headlight will not stay on.

If it takes more than 2-3 tries to start your bike you have some other issue to deal with , the headlight not being the cause.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

the big crank is on the way...havent put it in yet as i'm away from my bike for Christmas break. who knows, maybe that will solve my problems, but im just thinking about other things while im away from my bike. thanks for all the input
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

Doesn't the headlight deactivate when starting? I mean after it's been cranked over but not started? IIRC, it should during the time the starter is running.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCruzin View Post
Doesn't the headlight deactivate when starting? I mean after it's been cranked over but not started? IIRC, it should during the time the starter is running.
Yes , but what sometimes happens is the bike does not start, but has "turned over" enough for the lights to go on. They do not go out unless you turn the key off...which means that if you have to hit the starter several times to start the bike, it is possible for the lights to come on and stay on while you are trying to start the bike.

I am unsure what critera needs to be met for the lights to go on, but it is not a "running motor". It may appear that the headlight goes out when attempting multiple stabs at the starter button to get the bike going, but I think it is just the light dimming do to starter robbing the power from the lights.
Perhaps someone would like to drain their carbs , turn off the fuel and see what happens when the bike turns over but won't (can't) start after multiple tries? (I suggest having someone in front of the bike to examine the headlight condition)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

drguitarum2005, I put a toggle switch on mine and like it, especially in the winter months when I just crank the bike up and let it run a bit to warm & stir up the oil, burn out the older gas in the carbs, and with the light out the battery gets a quicker recovery charge...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Calif Rider

I think most of the people on this sight would say that after you install the big crank and with the iridium plugs you should not have any starting problems anymore. Hot or cold, and then if you do like the others said you have other problems. Hope you get back to your bike soon, that is if you will be in an area with good riding weather.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs