1988 Vn750 spark only when clutch is pressed in - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

1988 Vn750 spark only when clutch is pressed in

Project bike I was given, doesn't run. Solenoid isn't connected to anything other than the battery and the starter. Red/yellow wire coming off of it is cut along with a green/purple wire. Tried bridging it and it cranks the bike, but doesn't start. Have spark when the clutch is pressed in and the key is on. Doesn't have gas in it, just spraying both carbs with starting fluid, won't even cough lol. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 10:18 PM

first of all, are you sure the run switch is on RUN? (not being facetious, just checking the basics)

and also, why do you have the solenoid wired up like that? have you been having issues with starting lately, or are you just trying to get the bike fired?

I believe another problem may be your relays preventing the bike from powering the coils because of the clutch/neutral interlock relay. The bike may be having issues with that circuit, which can be bypassed by what is called the two-wire mod which only requires a little jumper wire between 2 pins on the junction box and bypasses the clutch/neutral interlock (aka safety or nanny switches) and should allow spark and cranking, but that may require you to use the starter button rather than jumpering the starter solenoid.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 10:21 PM

just occurred to me, if you've had the engine out or been fiddling a lot lately, you might have disconnected something. do you have the neutral switch lead wire on the neutral switch? it's located at the far back of the engine

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

also, if the side stand switch is fubar, it will kill ignition if the bike is in gear and clutch lever released (also check neutral switch as mentioned)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 10:03 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Also ignition switch in good working order and cleaned.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Let me add more info, sorry. It's been driving me crazy lol. Friend gave me a bike his friend gave him, who he got it from someone else.. I've never seen the bike run, and I'm trying to figure it out.

The solenoid is the wrong one, and it's bad. Bridging it gets the motor to crank, spark works when the clutch is pushed (which I'm told is normal?) and it doesn't fire sprayed starting fluid in it many a time. Switch is on, gets spark. Just no go-go. Not so much as a cough. Just cranks and cranks.

I've been reading up on the forum and tinkering (Got a Hayne's manual, too) and I tried the Grambo trick (last guy thought it might be a timing issue) and I realized the rear cylinder has been changed from ACCT to a manual. Obviously this might be more of an engine issue, than an electrical issue, but is there any way I can check the timing on the front and the rear? I read that you have to pretty much take the motor out to check the rear. Would timing be my next suspect?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:35 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
check compression. check your kickstand safety switch and your clutch safety switch.the Grambo trick won't help here as it is to test the ACCT'S. sounds like a safety switch issue to me.could also take out the spark plugs,spray a shot of ether in there,put the plugs back in,and try to start.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 06-02-2017 at 07:38 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
check compression. check your kickstand safety switch and your clutch safety switch.the Grambo trick won't help here as it is to test the ACCT'S. sounds like a safety switch issue to me.could also take out the spark plugs,spray a shot of ether in there,put the plugs back in,and try to start.

Thanks, sorry for the tips. Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but if it's getting spark shouldn't it at least fire? I have to hold the clutch in for the spark plugs to spark, and I've tried spraying starting fluid in the spark plug holes and still don't get anything. Will have to check compression, too.

So would the kickstand safety switch and clutch safety switch stop the bike from starting all-together, even when the clutch is pressed in?

EDIT: I messed with the switches and previously earlier backed off the MCCT bolt a little bit, and now that cylinder backfires out the carb, so that is something... I'm messing with too many things, I think.

Last edited by ground_sniper; 06-02-2017 at 08:38 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:02 PM

Since the MCCT yielded some kinda result, go ahead and back them both off until they are loose and then tighten them back in just until finger tight (MCCT's turned in too tight can keep a healthy bike from starting). This will put the least amount of tension on them that will still be safe to crank the bike with, you can worry about adjusting them to be quiet once the bike is running.

I would strongly recommend that you do the 2-wire mod to bypass the safety switches if they're in question. This would rule them out entirely and give the ignition system full voltage.

Does the start button do anything? IDK how exactly the ECU on this bike works, but I would guess there's something beyond just triggering the solenoid that allows the bike to run. I could be wrong, though, but I know the ignition on this engine is electronic, and there is a control unit which senses the pickup coils behind the left-side cover.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:34 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
Since the MCCT yielded some kinda result, go ahead and back them both off until they are loose and then tighten them back in just until finger tight (MCCT's turned in too tight can keep a healthy bike from starting). This will put the least amount of tension on them that will still be safe to crank the bike with, you can worry about adjusting them to be quiet once the bike is running.

I would strongly recommend that you do the 2-wire mod to bypass the safety switches if they're in question. This would rule them out entirely and give the ignition system full voltage.

Does the start button do anything? IDK how exactly the ECU on this bike works, but I would guess there's something beyond just triggering the solenoid that allows the bike to run. I could be wrong, though, but I know the ignition on this engine is electronic, and there is a control unit which senses the pickup coils behind the left-side cover.
yes but he's getting spark,maybe not hot enough?

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog