Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member

Garage
Test Readings On My Stator

After printing out Seebeeare's Testing The Stator with pics...!!!!! (Thank you)
I took them over to my bike, which just barely got me home today when I rode to Sears to buy a Multimeter. Lucky I brought my Portable Rechargeable Power Supply and my 8 Gauge Mini Jumper Cables cause I needed it to start the engine and it died as I arrived at the gate to the park where I live.

The new Multimeter shows the battery at 11.2 volts so it is obvious to me now that the bike is not charging the battery, even though I replaced the R&R with a used OEM unit.
I've received my new Mosfet FH020AA but realize that if my stator is bad, it won't do any good so I went out to get the new Multimeter today.

The Battery needs to be charged up so I was unable do the AC Voltage check with the engine running but I did manage to do the other checks and want to know what some of you make of these readings?

Oops, I made a mistake and had this new meter set wrong.
here's the corrected readings;

1: Resistance (Case to Stator Wires)
A: 0.6 ohms, B: 0.7 ohms, C: 1.0 ohms

2: Resistance (between the three poles)
AB: 0.8 ohms, AC: 0.9 ohms, BC: 1.0 ohms

37K+ Miles
Relocated R&R
LED License Plate Bolts
Solar Panel Battery Charger
Relocated new Turn Signals to Taillight Housing.
Replaced original round, chrome rear view mirrors with black, squared mirrors

June 2006 - Sept 27, 2013

Current Ride: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
4th Ride: 1981 Kz1000 LTD (2008 - Storage)
3rd Ride: Wife (1999 - 2005)
2nd Ride: 1982 Kz1000 LTD (1983 - 2004)
1st Ride: 1977 Yamaha XS-650 (1981 - 1983)

Last edited by majdsaster; 05-20-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:59 PM

If that's correct then it indicates continuity between the stator and the case (shorting out) which means it's fried :/

Worth a check to see if it outputs any voltage between the poles in case the shorting is a fluke
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
If that's correct then it indicates continuity between the stator and the case (shorting out) which means it's fried :/

Worth a check to see if it outputs any voltage between the poles in case the shorting is a fluke
Thanx Uber!
I don't know why they make these instruction books so small you can hardly see the print but I just read through the microscopic print of the Multimeter's manual and suspect I was not using it correctly.

I will try again tomorrow and charge the bike's battery so I can attempt to get some voltage readings.

I'll have to do what I did with the manual that came with my Midland two way radios and remove the staples from the booklet then scan each side of each page and print them out to a full sheet of paper. Then I can use my binding stapler to reassemble the book.

Unfortunately, if the stator is fried there is not much I can do. I have a thirty+ years collection of tools, all in storage in New Hampshire. Even if I had the tools here, with my current living arrangement, I have no place to do the job.
I can check with a place in Key Largo for an estimate on what it might cost to have them do it, but I might be better off just trucking it up to Miami to a Kawasaki dealer to get a new bike and take whatever they give me for this one.

37K+ Miles
Relocated R&R
LED License Plate Bolts

Last edited by majdsaster; 05-20-2017 at 09:16 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

what kind of facilities do you have available to you in Key West? (driveway, carport, garage if your lucky?)..

I just did my stator in my parking lot where I live. pulled engine one day, repaired and reinstalled following day.

Not much special in tools required, a good metric socket set is about it (you will also need 1 allen wrench, 8mm I think, for removing the right side frame), and a floor jack or some other way to support engine when removing it.

will also add that total removal is NOT required, Others have just loosened it, pulled it out a little and tilted the engine to get the clearance to pull the cover.

also, we ALWAYS recommend replacing the balance dampers while your in there, as your only 2 bolts away from them.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
what kind of facilities do you have available to you in Key West? (driveway, carport, garage if your lucky?)..

I just did my stator in my parking lot where I live. pulled engine one day, repaired and reinstalled following day.

Not much special in tools required, a good metric socket set is about it (you will also need 1 allen wrench, 8mm I think, for removing the right side frame), and a floor jack or some other way to support engine when removing it.

will also add that total removal is NOT required, Others have just loosened it, pulled it out a little and tilted the engine to get the clearance to pull the cover.

also, we ALWAYS recommend replacing the balance dampers while your in there, as your only 2 bolts away from them.

Here's this morning's numbers after reading through the multimeter manual.

1: Resistance (Case to Stator Wires)
A: 00.5 ohms, B: 00.7 ohms, C: 00.9 ohms

2:Resistamce (Between the Three Poles)
AB: 00.7 ohms, AC: 00.9 ohms, BC: 01.1 ohms

Still no running voltage check as my battery is out and on a charger.

Hi Michigan,
I live in an over 55, gated park. Motorcycles are not allowed in the park, though there are several bike owners here besides myself. All motorcycles have to be parked in the bike spaces behind the park office, near the front gate.
So besides sitting on the hot asphalt in 90 to 100+ degree temps, the park Association People would go out of their minds if I started doing a job like that.

They have some pretty stupid rules here but I've always maintained I didn't come down here to start challenging the parks rules, I came down for my job.
They don't allow any pets, of any kind. If you drove up to the gate with a dog in your car and said you were here to pick me up, they would not admit you because of the dog. I'd have to walk out to the gate.

It's ungodly expensive to live in the Keys. I'm renting my lot from a family friend so my lot rent is well below the local average down here, (today's SJW types would claim that I am "unfairly privileged") and it's only five minute from the park gate to main gate at the base so there is a financial advantage to stay where I am.

37K+ Miles
Relocated R&R
LED License Plate Bolts

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:33 AM

That's a bummer to hear man. If you could ever get the bike up here to Jacksonville with the parts in hand we could knock it out in a weekend I think. I have all the tools since I just did the balancer job which is just 3 bolts and a couple solder points shy of the stator job.

Probably a long shot but having a garage is a gift to be shared I reckon
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
That's a bummer to hear man. If you could ever get the bike up here to Jacksonville with the parts in hand we could knock it out in a weekend I think. I have all the tools since I just did the balancer job which is just 3 bolts and a couple solder points shy of the stator job.

Probably a long shot but having a garage is a gift to be shared I reckon

Dang, man. And to think I was offered a job at Mayport, in Jacksonville last June, but they couldn't match the pay I'm getting down here.

Though one of my friends from work had an idea! My battery is in his shed, charging right now and he mentioned The Hobby Shop, on base. The Hobby Shop is a 'Do The Work Yourself', set up. They have about six bays, two with lifts and only charge about $4 a day. They also have fully stocked tool boxes, (gotta love the military).
Though I am not military, (Civilian Contractor) my base ID gives me access.
So there may be an option here! I will have to read up and study the procedure, exactly. Any more advice will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I went back over to my bike with my spare battery, started it up and then disconnected the battery. The instant I did, the engine died.

37K+ Miles
Relocated R&R
LED License Plate Bolts

Last edited by majdsaster; 05-21-2017 at 03:06 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Bike won't run without a battery...
Paulywog likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Bike won't run without a battery...
I was told it was a way of seeing if the stator was putting out enough power to run the bike. So even if the stator is good, the bike won't run with the battery disconnected??

37K+ Miles
Relocated R&R
LED License Plate Bolts

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member

Garage
I am going to stop at the base Hobby Shop and talk to the guy who runs the place to let him know I am planning to bring the bike in and it might need to stay overnight.
Once I have all the parts together, I'll take a couple of vacation days to give myself a four day weekend and try to knock this out on a Thursday and Friday.

I've been looking at Stators. Is there a specific stator that you guys can recommended?

Also, since it has been suggested that I do the balance dampers while I'm in there, I was trying to find out more about them and read one reference to them breaking down. What are these things made of?

Anything else I need to order for this job? Gaskets? Lock-Tite? etc

37K+ Miles
Relocated R&R
LED License Plate Bolts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement