Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vulcan2000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Question barn find, starting issues

hi all, new to the forum, and forums in general, so i hope im doing this right.
recently found my first vn750, an 86, that has sat for quiet some time. did the normal carb clean, fresh fluids, plugs, etc and now that im ready to start it for the first time im having difficulty. i was told the bikes entire history, for the most part, by the owner. All issues i fixed before trying to start, but one, he mentioned the battery wires colors were backwards for some reason and it had been hooked up one time, for about 5 minutes, reversed(pos on neg & neg on pos) while trying to start it prior to me purchasing. So before i did anything i hooked a battery up to it and gave the starter button a quick tap to verify it worked and it did at the time. However, now i can push the button, hear a click and it loses all power to the bike. i can smack the wiring on the solenoid and the lights come back on, repeaded. only tried to start once since then and after turning over about three times cut out again. perfect voltage, did resistance test on all wires and turned out perfect, and replaced the gnd and starter button supply wire on a whim but to no avail. checked connections for loose fittings, and eventually tried jumping the solenoid over with a screw driver just to see if it would still cut out and it did. out of thoughts at this point, and no prior work with vulcans.
any thoughts? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:06 PM

Could be a bad solenoid, but it reads like a poor connection at the main battery cable. Could be either end, at the battery or the solenoid.

I would also test battery voltage before and after attempting to crank, just to be sure it's not an intermittent break inside the battery itself.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

went out today because my buddy wanted to see it before i stripped it down for him to paint. Tried to show him what it was doing but instead today, it cranked. tried cranking it three times and it did all three times, actually started the third time and ran smooth as silk for the first time ive ever heard it run, music to my ears but, i still would like to know what did it. gonna be nervous about trusting it if i dont

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:10 AM

I recently (about a year ago) had my 95 VN having trouble while turning. It seemed as though it was a problem at the battery before I realized it only happened when I turned the handlebars.

Problem was a short from the power feed from the battery at the ignition switch on the dash. Even though your problem doesn't sound like mine, I would have never thought to look at the dash so you might check that main lead. My check showed the wire had the right voltage, but was shorting out where I couldn't reach (behind the headlamp).

P.S. (more on my bike problem) When the problem was at its worst, the only way I could get my bike to start was to keep the bars pointed straight ahead, which also means that no matter if I turned left or right while riding the bike meant the dash would completely lose power and the bike would shut off. Sometimes I could get no power at all no matter what I did.

I needed to resolder the connections and broke the connector at the back of the ignition switch, so I had to replace the entire ignition switch, then re-do all the wiring work again. After complete, I now have an extra iginition key, but I have no more problems when turning my bars and the short was fixed.

US Army Infantry (Ret)
1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Inherited from my late father... and I hope he is still riding up there!

"The Edge -- There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over" -- Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:40 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Thompson View Post
hi all, new to the forum, and forums in general, so i hope im doing this right.
recently found my first vn750, an 86, that has sat for quiet some time. did the normal carb clean, fresh fluids, plugs, etc and now that im ready to start it for the first time im having difficulty. i was told the bikes entire history, for the most part, by the owner. All issues i fixed before trying to start, but one, he mentioned the battery wires colors were backwards for some reason and it had been hooked up one time, for about 5 minutes, reversed(pos on neg & neg on pos) while trying to start it prior to me purchasing. So before i did anything i hooked a battery up to it and gave the starter button a quick tap to verify it worked and it did at the time. However, now i can push the button, hear a click and it loses all power to the bike. i can smack the wiring on the solenoid and the lights come back on, repeaded. only tried to start once since then and after turning over about three times cut out again. perfect voltage, did resistance test on all wires and turned out perfect, and replaced the gnd and starter button supply wire on a whim but to no avail. checked connections for loose fittings, and eventually tried jumping the solenoid over with a screw driver just to see if it would still cut out and it did. out of thoughts at this point, and no prior work with vulcans.
any thoughts? thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Thompson View Post
went out today because my buddy wanted to see it before i stripped it down for him to paint. Tried to show him what it was doing but instead today, it cranked. tried cranking it three times and it did all three times, actually started the third time and ran smooth as silk for the first time ive ever heard it run, music to my ears but, i still would like to know what did it. gonna be nervous about trusting it if i dont
Welcome. You asked if you are doing this right so here comes an answer. We prefer that you do an introduction under the Newbie Check-In as your first posting. That should include a bit of information such as your riding/wrenching experience and your home location. With that we can pass on information that is geared for your ability and not insult you with things that may be second nature to your wrenching or too complicated if you have limited experience. We do not want to offend or discourage anyone. Also with your general location there may be a member close by that would be willing to give you a personal hand with anything that you are having a problem with from just our worded instructions.

At this point, you can just go ahead and do an intro posting in the Newbie Check-In section and all will be fine. Welcome again and good luck.
Tyler Thompson likes this.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 05-08-2017 at 07:10 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

ill check it out for sure, but during this first start up i never moved the handles so not sure if thats where my problem stems from but worth a shot, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement