3Likes
  • 1 Post By Knifemaker
  • 1 Post By cglennon
  • 1 Post By Goofyfoot2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Heated grips?

Any thoughts on heated grips? What type to go for or best way of wiring, Ie: from the battery or switched live when the ignition is on only?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:02 PM
Old Fart

Garage
First you need to make sure how much wattage the grips use. If you aren't running any other electronic stuff, you have about 70 watts available. Keep in mind this is under ideal conditions.

Spend the money and install a good heat troller. Like one of these:
12V for Motorcycling, Power Sports - Heat-trollers - Warm & Safe Heated Gear, LLC

My pick would be to go with heated gloves over heated grips. They contact more of your hand, and keep them warmer. The also keep your hands warm when you hand is off the grip, like when you wipe your visor, fiddle with your GPS, or scratch yourself.

You should wire them direct to the battery, and use a relay off a switched circuit, like the front running lights.
NIBiker likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Heated grips are the best thing that I installed on my bike. I use them on almost every ride, even on summer mornings (Oregon summer mornings can be cold). I also highly recommend using a heat-troller rather than a resistance based switch.

Warm and Safe makes the best heat-troller Heat-trollers are pulse width modulator based, very efficient, and offer the best output control. The Warm and Safe heat-troller is also rebranded and available for other vendors (i.e., RevIt, First Gear). Warm and Safe also sells a heated grip kit that includes Symtec elements. This is the setup that I purchased along with a heated grip wire harness from Eastern Beaver (Japan company). Unfortunately, Eastern Beaver no longer makes the specific heated grip wire kit (they still make other kits).

Symtec makes a specific heating element for the right and left grip. The left pad runs a bit hotter to compensate for heat loss through contact with the metal handle bar. The right pad is mounted on the plastic throttle control tube, so it does not loose heat as fast.

I could not be happier with the results. I should note that I don't ride when the temperatures go below freezing (which is rare here in Portland, OR). Also, I do not own a pair of winter gloves. I wear my full gauntlet spring/fall gloves and rely on the heated grips for the rest. I've ridden in 40 degree temperatures with no problem.

Also, I don't think that I've ever had had the controller past the 70% of its total output. Beyond that setting I would need to switch my gloves for oven mitts. One note that it takes 3-5 minutes to get this setup running toasty when it is cold out and they cool off FAST.
NIBiker likes this.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:34 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Or you can cheap out and do the wind deflectors with good gloves. Here is a great DIY

Motorcycle Hand Wind Deflectors Version 2.1: 6 Steps
NIBiker likes this.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:28 AM

I second the wind deflectors idea.

Heated grips only really heat the part of your hand that is least exposed.
I ride all year. In winter we are talking quite a bit into the sub-zero range. In my experience, if the grips are warm enough to matter, you end up with sweaty palms while the back of your hands are still cold.

Wind deflectors will make a huge difference. Likely enough that you won't even need to beef up your gloves. I personally don't like them, but they sure do work.

Personally, I just wear thin wool gloves under a wind/waterproof pair of mittens (Old military gauntlet style). Last december I actually had to stop and take off the inner gloves on a 300 mile freeway ride, because my hands were getting a bit too warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement