Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

stator...

well, after needing a jump this morning (not originally due to low batt, but after it was drained trying to start a flooded engine), I got it to work (about 10 miles). time to come home, I barely got it started (slow crank main issue), and when I got home, I checked the battery voltage... Keep in mind I rode home (10 miles)

multiple choice:
A. 14.2
B. 12.8
C: 10.6
D: 8.9

if you guessed C: 10.6, you win

I checked AC at the connector to my mosfet, and well, lets say my nice $177 meter made me cry... barely 1 volt, regardless of rpm.

Looks like I get to use them parts I bought 2+ yrs ago when I thought my stator was bad, and only needed an R/R.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 AM

Garage
These bikes are brilliant to ride its just a pity they are dogged with charging problems,Going through same crap now three years after replacing stator and r/r, gonna use a mosfet this time and see.......Whats the definition of insanity? Ans- doing the same thing over and over again and getting same results ,One two three, The mouse ran up the tree !!!

Vn 750 A2 1986 rebuilt engine, crank shaft, half casing,shell bearings,con rods,rear cylinder head,oil pump,water pump ,(had ceased bearing rusted up),tie bar upgrade,clutch basket drilled,front cylinder cam chains,toc springs,stator,shaved, rectifier,agm battery,solenoid ,starter motor (used) re-spray ongoing.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 AM

in your sig you gave me the greatest hope, teddybear: "original stator (as far as I know)" on an '05 with 33k.

Now you make me worry! I have the stator cover pulled to do the balance dampers with the factory stator + RR.

Looking up how to tuxedo mod it and how much it costs so I don't ave to pull this damn engine again if the stator DOES go bad...

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:59 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
in your sig you gave me the greatest hope, teddybear: "original stator (as far as I know)" on an '05 with 33k.

Now you make me worry! I have the stator cover pulled to do the balance dampers with the factory stator + RR.

Looking up how to tuxedo mod it and how much it costs so I don't ave to pull this damn engine again if the stator DOES go bad...
If you have over 25k miles.. swap stator while it's out with another OEM and enjoy another 25-35k of care-free riding.

I'm not bothering to do the tux mod on my 90. It's not really worth it if you use quality parts to replace the stator.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:18 PM

I only have 17k but I plan to put a lot more miles on this thing, seeing as I ride probably 4-6k per year given my history.

I never want to do this damned engine pull again, so I may just make my own. Can't really justify spending $70 for the plate and hardware when I like to fabricate stuff and have the side cover off the motor right now anyhow.

Very conflicted! I wanna ride my bike. (But I can wait another week to save myself a headache down the road if I wind up needing to do a stator within the next 2-3 years)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
I only have 17k but I plan to put a lot more miles on this thing, seeing as I ride probably 4-6k per year given my history.
OMG, I must ride too much then by your "history" lol. I normally put on about 12k-18k per year on all my previous bikes. No wonder they were in the shop and the mechanics knew me by my credit card :P . When I got my Suzi GS550L it had just a shy over 7k, when I lost her (dont ask, thats another thread of misfortune) she had over 47K and only had her for 3 years.

On a side note, what is why on one comment I had I said I wanted to learn how to work on this bike. So shes not in the shop as much :P .

CURRENT BABY: 2006 Vulcan VN750, 13k miles.
PREVIOUS Big BABIES: 77 Kawasaki KZ400, 88 Honda Hurricane 1000, 78 Yamaha XS650, 84 Honda Goldwing 1000, 86 Suzuki GS550L
PREVIOUS Lil Babies: 84 Honda Passport 70 (modified the heck out of it), 08 Yamaha Zuma FX50 (just sold)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:35 PM

Well, this is one of my 3 vehicles, the others being my DD (2014 Mazda 3) and my 4x4 toy (1992 Nissan Pathfinder) and I'm doing a rough estimate on the miles. Bought it... 1 year ago? Went from 13k->17k with lots of downtime.

Huh maybe I don't ride all that much... But I don't want to DREAD the stator failure, just be peeved in the wallet by it haha
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:35 AM

Garage
I have read that these bikes were originally set up by the manufacturer to run within a few amps, so by fitting LED,HID or extra lights you can either over use or under use the electrical system, so you think you are doing your bike a favour by installing these mods but your just slowly frying your r/r and stator,I hope the mosfet will deal with this problem and I can attach anything I wish with no more issues

Vn 750 A2 1986 rebuilt engine, crank shaft, half casing,shell bearings,con rods,rear cylinder head,oil pump,water pump ,(had ceased bearing rusted up),tie bar upgrade,clutch basket drilled,front cylinder cam chains,toc springs,stator,shaved, rectifier,agm battery,solenoid ,starter motor (used) re-spray ongoing.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:04 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETHRO View Post
I have read that these bikes were originally set up by the manufacturer to run within a few amps, so by fitting LED,HID or extra lights you can either over use or under use the electrical system, so you think you are doing your bike a favour by installing these mods but your just slowly frying your r/r and stator,I hope the mosfet will deal with this problem and I can attach anything I wish with no more issues
Absolutely correct. MOSFET will help. Some models are 30A but the majority (FH020AA) are 50A output, enough for most accessories.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Well, engine is out and sitting on my 'workbench'. Less then 3 hrs to pull. Took my time too.

Realized just how outta shape I am. Had to have neighbor help carry it into the lanai where my 'workbench' is.

Also found dead bad throttle cables when I was taking the carbs off (they need cleaning anyway)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement