Headlight out: Bulb and Fuse are good... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Headlight out: Bulb and Fuse are good...

First - I have looked through the vulcan verses etc and really haven't been able to put anything together, so I figured I would try a new thread.

My headlight went out.
Both high beam and low beam went out at the same time.
Both my bulb (even bought a new one to make sure) and the headlight fuse are good (even put a different known good fuse in).

I read about a headlight relay but am still not sure where it is located and if it can be replaced.

I also read about bypassing the relay so that when you turn the key the light stays on. Can anyone explain how to do this step by step or point me to a verse or thread that explains it clearly?

If need be I will do the bypass thing while I try to bug the problem out.
At least I can ride it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Quiet rider

I just went through the exact same problem. Before you do anything else try this:

With the bike running, with your fingernail, flick the starter button a few times to see if the light comes on (i.e., partially push the button in with you nail and then let it slid off you nail and SNAP back). Obviously, be careful not to press the button in too far while it's running or the starter will engage the engine. Contacts in the start button assembly apparently (I'm no expert but am quite sure) disconnect the light while engaging the starter so that more current flows to the start circuit. When they get dirty or wear, the circuit sometimes does not re-engage when you release the start button and the light stays off.

I haven't yet fussed with mine enough to know if it can be fixed via electronic cleaner spray or if replacement will be needed but that's where the problem is on mine.

Good luck!

Greyhound
01 VN750
36k miles

No one on their deathbed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at work".

Last edited by greyhound; 12-05-2008 at 08:24 PM.
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Might try checking your ground on the battery and the wire going to your hlight.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

headlight realy (proper name - reserve lighting switch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasaki_Kev View Post
I read about a headlight relay but am still not sure where it is located and if it can be replaced.
OK - I found the headlight relay (proper name - reserve lighting switch) under the right side cover. Also - it can be replaced, but isn't cheap when purchased new.
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Mine has been by-passed since I have had the bike. I haven't had any problems.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:20 PM

mines bypassed with manual switch hidden in left ear...cheaper than the 100$ junction box
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
sounds to me like the relay inside the junctionbox is fried man.... check to see if you can get the headlight on by jumping pin 7 and pin 8 on the JB...If headlight turns on then the relay inside the JB is bad....this happened to me when I purchased my bike...there are two fixes for this...the easiest fix is a new JB...the second fix is soldering in a relay off of another toasted JB.

Also the Reserve Lighting Unit is NOT the relay...check out the Junction Box wiring Schematic in the Repair Manual. PG 289 in the PDF manual, or PG 15-50 in the Clymer's Manual. also if you need more comprehensive diagrams, I have all of them as color JEPEGS.

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 12-06-2008 at 02:27 AM.
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

How do I bypass the relay?

If nothing it might keep me going for now - bikes down
Have to have a headlight on at all time in Florida...
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Well - I tried jumping pin 7 and 8, at least the best I could, but the headlight did not come on. I say the best I could because the diagram I have in my clymer shows the 8 pin connector having all 8 spots taken up. My 8 pin connector is missing either the 1 or 7 (depending on if your looking at the front or back of connector). I will be looking into to this further, but if anyone else has come across this feel free to enlighten me

Hey SlimVulcanRider, I'll take you up on the diagrams you have if you thank they may help. Either way, I appreciate the help and willingness to share your diagrams.

I also flicked the starter button a couple of times and the headlight came on. However, I have noticed that the back running lights (left/right turn signals) are not working even when I get the head light on. The turn signals work when used, but not as running lights. Again the fuse is good for these also.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:18 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasaki_Kev View Post
I also flicked the starter button a couple of times and the headlight came on. However, I have noticed that the back running lights (left/right turn signals) are not working even when I get the head light on. The turn signals work when used, but not as running lights. Again the fuse is good for these also.
Well, I would think the headlight coming on when flicking the starter button is a good sign.
But remember, the rear turnsignals are not running lights, like the front ones are. They are only turnsignals, so they shouldn't be on when the headlight is.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement