Melted r/r Connection
Anybody have any idea what could cause a r/r connection to get so hot that it melts?
A little history:
I bought the bike almost 2 years ago, it left me stranded a couple of times and I finally traced the problem to the r/r. I replaced and relocated the r/r, replaced the battery with a maintenance free AGM battery.
A couple of weeks ago I noticed it was starting to get a little sluggish when I started it up. I checked the r/r connection and cleaned it. I checked the ground connection from the battery to the frame, and checked the battery terminals. Everything looked good but I was still having issues. I took the battery off and had it load tested....no bueno, so I replaced the battary with another sealed, maintenance free AGM battery. Everything's peachy until one day last week on the way to work I could tell that the charging system wasn't working (the headlight indicator light puts out a little light when everything's working right) so I turned around and jumped in the Cage. While checking everything out this weekend I found the connection for the r/r was toast, literally. It looks like it was just one wire that overheated, and according to some stuff I found on-line it was the ground connection.
Any thoughts? Is my r/r toast again or could this be something else entirely?
My plan is to cut off the connector and just splice the wires directly together, assuming that there's no other issues. Has anybody done this? Are there any potential problems that this could cause?
I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.
Last edited by BigT; 11-24-2008 at 03:02 PM.