Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Custom Wire Harnesses

Thought I would share something I came while researching heated grips. This company (link below) makes custom wire harnesses for heated grips, horns, relay light switches, etc. The harness include the relay, fuse, battery connectors and even posi-lock connectors. Looks very professionally done and for around $25 delivered, a real bargan and time saver.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Produc...ted_grips.html

Chris Glennon
Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
checking out those wire kits...I realize I could make a lot of money doing nothing....the link above is 21.95 for 5 bucks worth of parts...10 minutes to crimp it together and run it through the loom and heatshrink it...man what the heck am i doing in the army?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
21.95 for 5 bucks worth of parts
Seconded. I don't see the value here.

However, I do wish the previous owner of my VN750 had been a regular patron of Mr. Davis from Japan. I found a disorganized mess of electrical tape under my seat when I swapped out the old battery for a Big Crank MF-AGM battery.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

I think that you are understating the value here.

If you have access to a shop with all the tools and supplies (I do not) and spare time (I do not), then you may be correct in saying that it is pretty simple. However, I checked the price of the components, if purchased seperately and came up approx. $21worth of parts. Here is the list;

Posi-Lock connectors & Tap - $3.90
Posi-lock Fuse holder - $3.30
20A Relay - $4.00
Prewired relay connector - $3.00
2 x 5A fuses - $2.00
Wire, battery connects - $1.30
Shrink wrap tubing - $2.50
Zip ties (bag of 10) - $1.75

Note that the kit comes with Posi-Locks (expensive, but worth it), not just crappy old crimp connectors. Posi-locks are the best way to make a professional, permanent or temporary connection, in seconds (they can even be reused). The Posi-Tap allows for splicing into another wire in seconds (i.e. for power), without cutting the original wire.

Next, I still need to buy a the shrink wrap heat gun, find time to get all the components, assemble and test. Then I'm left with a bunch of spare parts, a heat gun that I'll probably seldom or never use again and a lost afternoon. For a one-time application that's a lot of expense, time and effort. I'ld rather be riding! The premade harness will take less than 5 minutes to install and will not look like a hack (a.k.a. ME) did the job. So, I would argue that the value for this type of product is very high for those who do not have access to a shop, lots of spare time or the technical know-how to make a top-notch professional looking wire harness.

As for the business opportunity, you bet there is one here! I've been researching heated grips and none of the vendors offer a descent all-in-one, plug-n-play type kit (heated grips, wire harness and heat troller). You have to buy all the parts seperately, sometimes from multiple vendors and wire the whole thing from scratch. I am positive that this turns many, like me, away. Not a smart business plan.

I figure that the total for the wire harness parts, purchased in bulk at wholesale, probably run $7 - $9, assembly labor and overhead for $1 or less. That's $8 - $10 for the finished product. Wholesale to big names that don't have them (i.e., FirstGear, WarmNSafe, etc.) for 30%-45% wholesale markup (market as plug-n-play kits), and on your business website for 100+% retail markup. Start-up costs would only be a few grand for parts, advertisement, website, incorporation (lega stuff), insurance, etc. Hire some High School kids part-time for big orders and you'ld probably do pretty good. I'ld buy one!

Chris Glennon
Portland, OR
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:43 AM

I can't speak for Slim, but I realize I was too curt.

I should've said, "I can't see the value here for me."

You're right, for those without the tools or the propensity to tinker, this is an option worth considering. I solder, so I don't need the connectors. The parts I'd actually use to do an install like this thing is meant for aren't individually expensive, but you're right -- if I wasn't going to ever use the extras in the package, the costs add up.

The one place I'd take issue with you, though, is the need for a heat gun. My wife's hair dryer works just fine for shrinking the shrink wrap.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:13 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglennon View Post
I think that you are understating the value here.

If you have access to a shop with all the tools and supplies (I do not) and spare time (I do not), then you may be correct in saying that it is pretty simple. However, I checked the price of the components, if purchased seperately and came up approx. $21worth of parts. Here is the list;

Posi-Lock connectors & Tap - $3.90
Posi-lock Fuse holder - $3.30
20A Relay - $4.00
Prewired relay connector - $3.00
2 x 5A fuses - $2.00
Wire, battery connects - $1.30
Shrink wrap tubing - $2.50
Zip ties (bag of 10) - $1.75

Note that the kit comes with Posi-Locks (expensive, but worth it), not just crappy old crimp connectors. Posi-locks are the best way to make a professional, permanent or temporary connection, in seconds (they can even be reused). The Posi-Tap allows for splicing into another wire in seconds (i.e. for power), without cutting the original wire.

Next, I still need to buy a the shrink wrap heat gun, find time to get all the components, assemble and test. Then I'm left with a bunch of spare parts, a heat gun that I'll probably seldom or never use again and a lost afternoon. For a one-time application that's a lot of expense, time and effort. I'ld rather be riding! The premade harness will take less than 5 minutes to install and will not look like a hack (a.k.a. ME) did the job. So, I would argue that the value for this type of product is very high for those who do not have access to a shop, lots of spare time or the technical know-how to make a top-notch professional looking wire harness.

As for the business opportunity, you bet there is one here! I've been researching heated grips and none of the vendors offer a descent all-in-one, plug-n-play type kit (heated grips, wire harness and heat troller). You have to buy all the parts seperately, sometimes from multiple vendors and wire the whole thing from scratch. I am positive that this turns many, like me, away. Not a smart business plan.

I figure that the total for the wire harness parts, purchased in bulk at wholesale, probably run $7 - $9, assembly labor and overhead for $1 or less. That's $8 - $10 for the finished product. Wholesale to big names that don't have them (i.e., FirstGear, WarmNSafe, etc.) for 30%-45% wholesale markup (market as plug-n-play kits), and on your business website for 100+% retail markup. Start-up costs would only be a few grand for parts, advertisement, website, incorporation (lega stuff), insurance, etc. Hire some High School kids part-time for big orders and you'ld probably do pretty good. I'ld buy one!

Chris Glennon
Portland, OR
You can use a hair dryer on HIGH instead of buying a heat gun.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 03:10 PM
ryn

I have to admit I just use a zippo most the time for my shrink wrap.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
ok I whent to wally world and bought a solderless terminal kit for 9.95 with all tools needed + tape and cabel clamps, and three rolls of 14 gauge x 25' electrical wire for 2.95 a roll and 50' of heatshrink tubing for 2.95...ok, so it = 21.95, but no shipping...pluss I have enough stuff to make more than one wire harness. Ohh well...I do a lot of wiring on all sorts of stuff and like to have the stuff laying around any ways.

Quote:

ryn is on a distinguished road
I have to admit I just use a zippo most the time for my shrink wrap.
I must admit I use this trick myself....or the old fashioned alcohol burner made from a gerber jar and a candle wick.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Professional Product

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglennon View Post
Thought I would share something I came while researching heated grips. This company (link below) makes custom wire harnesses for heated grips, horns, relay light switches, etc. The harness include the relay, fuse, battery connectors and even posi-lock connectors. Looks very professionally done and for around $25 delivered, a real bargan and time saver.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Produc...ted_grips.html

Chris Glennon
Portland, OR
Click image for larger version

Name:	heated-grip-Kit.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1298
Just received one of these custom wire harness today. Paid $25.04 delivered. Only took a week to deliver, not bad considering the company is located in Japan. First impression is that it is a professionaly made product; heavy gauge wire, connections are tight and covered with shrink tubing, the Panasonic relay is relatively tiny, water tight fuse holder with 2 fuses, Posi-Lock and Posi-Tap connectors (best connectors available). Also included was about 2' of VOX tubing and 5 zip ties. Everything needed for installation, which might take all of 5 minutes.

If you don't have access to a shop and tools (I no longer do), are not that handy or want to spend more time on the seat rather then under it, then this is a great value.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement