Is this normal? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Is this normal?

OK... here is the new dilemma for my fledgling project. Not ever having owned a 750 before I didn't notice this right off, but a friend was over (who has worked on many bikes before) and he noted something "not quite right". Check out the photos...

This is the wiring harness just above the battery box on the left side of the bike, under the seat. To me it looks as if some creative electrical work has been done here and then patched up with, masking tape???

As I said before I am new to this so it may be that all VN750s are wired this way, but.... I would just like to be sure!

Does anyone elses wire harness look similar to this in the location noted?

Thanks

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/Fester42
1994 VN750
Tins/Head lamp - flat black
Front fender ditched
Rear fender bobbed
Powder coated rims
Recovered seat
Progressive 11.5" shocks
Progressive fork springs
Jardine "rumbler" exhaust - wrapped
Relocated horn
12" Z-bar ape hangers
MF Battery
Motion Pro Throttle Cables
Venom 110/90-19 170/80-15
Side mount License Plate/ Brake Light
Aftermarket signals
Speedo - Acewell

Last edited by nOObbobber; 11-21-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I can't get the pics to come up in the image host site, so it's kinda hard to see what's going on in there. First off, if it's masking tape (although the blue stuff looks like shrink wrap), that's a really bad idea - you might undo that stuff and either shrink-wrap the wires or use real electrical tape. Secondly, in my lame electrical world, I try to solder same-color wires to each other - I have three bits of separate wiring harnesses in the garage, however, and apparently my electrical world doesn't match other people's. If the wire gauge is the same, though, and the connector the right size and type, you should be ok. Thirdly, usually you don't want a bunch of those wires just floating free like that - once you're sure everything is a-ok, either get a sleeve to contain that octopus, or you can again use electrical tape to create a tighter bundle. Finally, if you're completely uncertain about the integrity of the harness, look out on eBay for a used one. Sometimes folks have snipped important leads off (like regulator leads), but often you can luck into a good one and at a low price.

Oh, and if there's any way you can post those pics to the gallery, that'd be great. These old eyes on a Friday need a bigger image.

C
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
I can't get the pics to come up in the image host site, so it's kinda hard to see what's going on in there. First off, if it's masking tape (although the blue stuff looks like shrink wrap), that's a really bad idea - you might undo that stuff and either shrink-wrap the wires or use real electrical tape. Secondly, in my lame electrical world, I try to solder same-color wires to each other - I have three bits of separate wiring harnesses in the garage, however, and apparently my electrical world doesn't match other people's. If the wire gauge is the same, though, and the connector the right size and type, you should be ok. Thirdly, usually you don't want a bunch of those wires just floating free like that - once you're sure everything is a-ok, either get a sleeve to contain that octopus, or you can again use electrical tape to create a tighter bundle. Finally, if you're completely uncertain about the integrity of the harness, look out on eBay for a used one. Sometimes folks have snipped important leads off (like regulator leads), but often you can luck into a good one and at a low price.

Oh, and if there's any way you can post those pics to the gallery, that'd be great. These old eyes on a Friday need a bigger image.
Don't ask me why but for some reason only the last pic in the series comes upnormally, if you click though the links it takes you to my imageshack account and you can see the pic in full size....

1994 VN750
Front fender ditched
Rear fender bobbed
Powder coated rims
Recovered seat
Progressive 11.5" shocks
Progressive fork springs
Relocated horn
12" Z-bar ape hangers
MF Battery
Aftermarket signals
Speedo - Acewell

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 04:42 PM

Got it, thanks! Well, let's see: upon closer inspection, some of that light blue stuff still looks like shrink wrap, but perhaps poorly shrunk. Or, worse, light blue electrical tape. Go ahead and pull that stuff off (if it's tape) and see what's under there. Make sure the solder (assuming it's soldered) is good and tight before you tape it back up. And it does look like there are wire-color-changes afoot - that's not a great idea, just 'cause for us who are unwashed in electrical stuff, it makes the wiring diagrams that much harder to figure out.

So, additional thoughts- anything that can be untaped and inspected, go ahead and do that. If you know how to solder, re-solder any bad connections; worse-case, get some t-taps and put the wires together that way (not a good long-term solution, I don't think, but it'll work in the interim). Secondly, if you can identify those "root" wires where PO tapped in a different color wire, call out which ones those are. I may be able to "cut and paste" from the stuff I have here and then you can solder in matching bits.

Basically, though, as long as PO didn't use masking tape and as long as the connections are clean and solid, in theory you should be ok.

C
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 04:49 PM

What she ^ said.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Rgr, I will have to wait a bit before I start diving in only because it is too bleepin cold in my garage for me to work without heat... BTW C are you enjoying this artic jet stream dip, as much as me??

The odd thing is when I had the bike all together (it is in a state of disassembly right now) the electrical all seemed to function fine. Lights, brakes, starting (except that minor solenoid issue)... I am wondering what the motivation was to play Dr. Frankenstein....

1994 VN750
Front fender ditched
Rear fender bobbed
Powder coated rims
Recovered seat
Progressive 11.5" shocks
Progressive fork springs
Relocated horn
12" Z-bar ape hangers
MF Battery
Aftermarket signals
Speedo - Acewell
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Vintage bike addict

It would seem someone had to repair a circuit. If everything was working I'd leave it alone. At least until you have the bike running again. Let's not make new problems. Once you have it running again and everything is verified as working then you can check for solder. If none disconnect and see what is affected. Slide on a length of shrink tubing. Reconnect and solder the wires. Verify circuit is working again and position the shrink tube.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Don't you just love PO's. All that means is A LOT more work for you now. Amazes me how one can think using that blue tape to cover the wiring harness is a good substitute to doing it right in the first place. Sorry dude.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 PM

I'm freezing!! I was trying to clean the threads on some bolts tonight and had to keep running out to the garage for different things. Heck if I'm doing any wrenching tomorrow! Brrrrrrrr!

C
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:51 PM
kay
carbon unit

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Garage
hey, you know those look like the bundle of wires under the seat going by the battery.
I had a few with the wire showing and it looked as though they had been pinched because someone put the wrong kinda battery in or they just got pinched when the seat had been replaced. didn't look like wire was broken just the insulation so I just taped em up so they wouldn't short out. perhaps that's what your PO did

2010 Triumph Speedmaster
1995 Vulcan750
1989 XT350
M880
1959 M38A1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement