SH775 and new TPE Stator Followup - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

SH775 and new TPE Stator Followup

Back in September of last year, I was attempting to do my homework prior to feeding my wife's '06 VN750 another stator. Long story short, I *did* end up buying a SH775 series R/R, and paired it with a TPE stator using Tim's newly-available (at the time) high-temperature wire. Thought was to use a series R/R to minimize the heat generated by the stator, and to make the stator as bullet-proof as possible.

With a fully-charged AGM battery, the charging system maintains a rock-solid 13.1V as measured across the battery at pretty much all engine speeds. I see occasional excursions to 13.3V, and expect I'll see a drop into the mid-12V range when the cooling fan switches on, but neither the high-beam nor turn signals at idle cause even a slight dip.

Admittedly, I'm surprised the new regulator is regulating as precisely as it seems to be doing. Throttle blips don't elicit even a momentary spike before the regulator clamps it: very impressive.

Going to have to wait until summer gets here for a proper heat test, but we're already in the 80's here in San Antonio, and the engine seems to be taking a bit longer to reach operating temperature. Definitely a good sign.

Will keep y'all posted... For now, anyway, hat's off to Tim and Shindengen. Maybe my favorite stator-eater has finally been sated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 06:34 AM

hmrct - How's your SH-775 holding up? Just picked up one for my Vulcan. Does it wire up exactly the same as the popular FH020AA mosfet R/R unit?

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

Cobra Full Exhaust (Single Sided)
M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Sunpie 7" LED Projector Headlight / KZ750-B 76-79 Bucket & Trim
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
Aftermarket Grips & Mirror's
Full Chrome Tach / Speedometer
Mobil 1 75-90 Synthetic Gear Oil
Rotella T6 / Bosch 3323 Filter
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 01:19 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Wires up the same.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceshot View Post
hmrct - How's your SH-775 holding up?
So far, so good... Summer is definitely here, and the engine is taking noticeably longer to reach operating temperature, so the series regulator would seem to be reducing the heat contribution from the stator.

Gonna have to put on several thousand more miles before I pronounce the stator issue cured, but I'm encouraged. These days, my biggest VN750 concern is the cam chain tensioners. The original owner of the bike *might* have replaced them some time ago, but I suspect I'm running with the originals, and the engine started making the tell-tale clacking noise a wee bit prior to the 40,000-mile mark. Since that's double the life most of the forum participants are reporting, I can't say I feel cheated. TOC MCCTs on order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement