Thought I had lost you guys!
Glad to see everybody back again!
Thought all had gone with Gypsy. (Where is she???)
In the meantime, I undertook to resolve my stator issues once and for all. (I was reading all kinds of stator problems on the old site--and working everything anybody suggested.) Nothing worked--or if it worked, it didn't stay working.
So what did I do?
First: I took the old, burnt stator apart.
What killed it?
Kawasaki (damn the bottom feeders!) had put one of the early edition stators into one of the last VN750s they sent out (2004 model). The onliest problem was that they had clamped--NOT clamped AND soldered--they had only clamped the single-strand stator winding wires to multi-strand wires to run to the RR unit. Clamping without soldering creates heat--just like my wife's wall plug on her iron gets hot.
Then, adding stupidity to foolishness, they had double-wrapped (for insulation) all of these joints into one solid, compact bundle. All of this to be cooled by hot oil. And the oil gets hotter when the fan comes on. And the stator gets hotter when the fan comes on.
In the red zone!
The heat buildup burnt off the clear insulation layer on the stator winding wire and it shorted out. Happened right there at the connectors and went back just far enough to short on the stator base.
I found that more recent versions of the 750 stator fixed the problem by clamping AND SOLDERING, and then by staggering the connectors so they were not piled up into one tight hot bundle. But I guess they had one of the old units sitting in their warehouse. My luck, I got that one on my new bike. (I wish I had a patent for Murphy's Law; I'd be rich!!!)
I paid Kawasaki through the nose and put one of those newer units into my bike (after trying an Electrosport stator and eventually having it fail too). So far, after some 20,000 miles, mostly in blazing heat...
Two more fixes were necessary.
RR unit got re-wired with heavier gauge wire and moved up to the front of the bike.
My apologies to anybody who mistakes my VN750 for a Harley Davidson unit!!! But they are the leaders in creating hot, burnt-up engines, so I guess they have learned a little bit that we can use. Thus my RR unit now sits up front--like the Harley boys'.
The other change was to get that engine cooled without depending upon the fan. (It still comes on at long, red traffic lights in mid-summer.)
First step was to strip the plastic Model T grill and replace it with some cowling (home-built) to ram air INTO the radiator instead of deflecting it down off the radiator.
(Yeah! The Model T grill looks cool, but it's not; it's hot!
Sorry about the pun.)
Next step was to install an oil cooler. (Sorry about the H.D. emulation again!) I had to have an adaptor built ($200) to adapt the JAG adaptor from SAE threads to metric. I screwed on a much larger oil filter (that's a plus too) and routed it to a JAG cooler.
The bike climbs the long steep grade from Sacramento to Auburn at 65 mph in 100 degrees and runs at normal temp. The fan never comes on.
The voltmeter I installed shows a good solid charge, well modulated, at all times. 37,000 miles and I am really enjoying this VN750--finally. A good bike Kawasaki built--if only they hadn't tried to screw us on the trivia!
Now I need to find a good front fender to keep crud off my oil filter.