Reg/rec/stator testing questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Quiet rider

Reg/rec/stator testing questions

I will soon be testing mine due to my new this year (but cheap Walmart non-MF) battery dieing on the road recently. My Battery Tender brought it back to what appears to be full life (specific gravity tests on the cells looks ok) but initial test of voltage on the battery while bike running are not very encouraging - only 12.3 volts @ ~ 3k RPM.

(I plan on buying a new MF battery asap)

1. How does the reg/rec wire plug connector release work? (also, is it best to loosen and/or remove the battery box to get at it or is this not necessary?)

2. A member of the vroc forum said that the VN750 shop manual test instructions had the probe + / - reversed. True or not?

3. What is voltage test procedure on the stator and what should the voltage read?

I have both a digital and analog volt meters but I'm not experienced in electrical testing. Any help / advise would be much appreciated.

greyhound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
I will soon be testing mine due to my new this year (but cheap Walmart non-MF) battery dieing on the road recently. My Battery Tender brought it back to what appears to be full life (specific gravity tests on the cells looks ok) but initial test of voltage on the battery while bike running are not very encouraging - only 12.3 volts @ ~ 3k RPM.

(I plan on buying a new MF battery asap)

1. How does the reg/rec wire plug connector release work? (also, is it best to loosen and/or remove the battery box to get at it or is this not necessary?)

Not Necessary, but very very help full

2. A member of the vroc forum said that the VN750 shop manual test instructions had the probe + / - reversed. True or not? Not Sure...I have the Clymer manual

3. What is voltage test procedure on the stator and what should the voltage read?
PG 265 of the Downlaodable Manual

I have both a digital and analog volt meters but I'm not experienced in electrical testing. Any help / advise would be much appreciated.

greyhound
Use the digital MM and post your findings we will be able to give you a hand. The first thing I would do is check the battery voltage as the bike is running. Record Voltages @ idle, 1500 rpm, 2000 rpm, 3000 rpm, and 4500-5000 rpm. post hese voltages here as well.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

As far as the probe question goes, switch and test again and see. If you're testing your battery and it reads something like 12.7 volts (or whatever number) then if you have the probes reversed it shows -12.7 volts. Reversed probes bring on the "negative" symbol. (digital meter right?)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 05:42 AM

Stator test

Those horribly efficient pin connectors need a glasses screw driver wedged in next to the locking tab to push it out of the way. Just follow that tabs course with the screw driver in the same direction as the wires. It's not easy to find the correct hole sometimes either. I also like to keep a small pair of channel locks to carefully grab the male connector for a better grip, and gently wiggle out, if you have fat pudgy fingers like mine. They should come easily when the catch tab is properly engaged.

On the stator you are testing for resistance in Ohms. Just pull the three yellow wires apart at the connectors just in front of the fuse box (they're all the same, so don't worry about mixing them up). Set your meter at x1 ohm and place meter leads on two of the stator leads (the females I believe, coming from underneath). You want a reading of 0.34 to 0.52 ohms. Any more or less, and that leg is shot. Test between all three wires.

Now, check for proper stator insulation. Set your meter to the highest resistance setting, x1k ohm. Connect one meter lead to ground, and the other to one of the stator leads. You should read infinity, nothing, nada, zip, zero, zilch. Try all three leads.

Now the R/R is another matter. I believe someone on here actually posted the chart. I got some different readings than the OEM manual, but I had a known good R/R to cross check, and I think that was just my meter acting funny.

You might also want to check for any other electrical short by disconnecting the battery negative lead, and placing the meter on high resistance. Place your negative meter lead onto chassis ground, and the red lead onto the positive battery wire. This should also read zero. If it does not, you have a short somewhere in the electrical circuits which will drain your battery.

Hope this helps ya.

The Hos '93 VN750
New fork seals, tires next
Thunderbolt '81 KZ1000 M1
Down from cam chain tensioner malfunction

My window is always down when I drive because I'd rather be on my motorcycle.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Quiet rider

Where do I find the "downloadable manual"?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
Where do I find the "downloadable manual"?
There's a link to it In Here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement