How to Truly Fix the Vulcan's Electrical Problems - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
Great thread, made my rewiring project a weekend deal instead of a week or two slog through the harness when my junction box went pop and let the smoke out. I did take the time and clean up the whole battery area as well, relocating the starter solenoid and rectifier while I was at it.
Holy smokes! HardRock, I would REALLY love to get ahold of your notes on what you did and how! That looks AMAZING! Can you share with the group please? I'm especially curious about the distribution block wiring and where you got the parts that you used. I'm in the middle of this myself right now but am going to freeze until I hear from you.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 05:37 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
Great thread, made my rewiring project a weekend deal instead of a week or two slog through the harness when my junction box went pop and let the smoke out. I did take the time and clean up the whole battery area as well, relocating the starter solenoid and rectifier while I was at it.
Yes, wow! That looks like the ticket.

Cue Dire Straits - "That's the way to do it!"

Bestseller right there.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR_Irish View Post
Holy smokes! HardRock, I would REALLY love to get ahold of your notes on what you did and how! That looks AMAZING! Can you share with the group please? I'm especially curious about the distribution block wiring and where you got the parts that you used. I'm in the middle of this myself right now but am going to freeze until I hear from you.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

I really just followed what Mcinturff laid out with a couple tweaks to fit my bike, but give me a couple days to go back through all my printouts and stuff and I'll add that information to this thread as well.
TR_Irish likes this.

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 08:31 AM

Here's a schematic of what I did with the JB replacement.

A few other notes on the job:
-The RLU has been completely removed, the Blue/Yellow wire is the one that the blue wire from pin 8 (or 7 if blue wire trick has been done) would have been jumpered to when bypassing the RLU.
-The Black/White wire pin 14 now is equipped with a ring terminal and grounded to the same bolt as the motor ground.
-So far I've been using a 3 amp fuse for the USB charger plug but I haven't used it very much yet I may need to jump to a 5 amp is I try to use both ports as it's a 3.1 amp charger.
-The fuse box and new plugs came off of Ebay
-Similar fuse box. DC32V 4 Way Circuit Car Boat Auto Blade Fuse Box Block Holder ATC ATO Waterproof | eBay
-Similar plug set. 2.8mm 2 3 4 6 9 pin 50 Sets Motorcycle Electrical Wire Connector Crimp Terminal | eBay

That's all I have for now if I think of more I'll update this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JBreplacement.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	40770  
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 07:56 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Calling Ackerman Electric Supply and letting them know where their note pads went.

Can we get a repost of images that photof.uckit destroyed?

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 01:20 AM

Garage
Great additions Hardrock. I also went through the entire harness and removed all excess wires from tail light harness to the headlight bucket. Including the same idea you had with eliminating the RLU and all of the excess wiring for it. Unwrapped, removed, rewrapped, unwrapped, rewrapped...... OCD is a bitch. Currently waiting on my new fuse block and relays to arrive. You've given me a couple ideas though....

I particularly like the idea of moving the starter relay and harness to the left side of the bike and mounting the new r/r to the right side of the battery box. I'm also going to flip the ignitor box so that the wires run below the starter relay, keeping most of the wiring on the left side of the bike.

With all of this being done as well as upgrading to a SH775 r/r, I think I'm going to keep the accessory circuits. Thinking I'll run a USB charger to the rear storage (toolbox), and run a lead to the headlight bucket in case I need it later. Probably going to fuse each lead separately though.

One thing I noticed is that the stock wiring for the stator is VERY thin. Sheathing for it is at about the 14 gauge mark, but I stripped it with the section of my wire strippers marked 20-22. The actual stranded wire inside has plenty of room inside the 20-22 gauge stripper which is kinda sad. If this is what's carrying all the current from the stator, I would think it should have beefier wires. Think I'm gonna rewire with at least 12 gauge while I have it apart. This may take a while as I only have an hour or so per day after work to get anything done and still have to make brackets for the r/r and the fuse block. I'll add my own pics when I'm done though.

- "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

'92 VN750
AGM battery, Iridium Spark plugs, Repaired/upgraded wiring per Mcinturff method, RLU removed, Repaired shift linkage, Exhaust baffles removed, Black ISO grips installed, installed SH775 R/R, Ignition coil relay mod, replaced stator housing.

Future projects: whatever it takes to keep riding

Currently working on: Light bar, LED upgrades, Dash cleanup/paint
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 02:23 AM

Garage
So here's my pictures of how my wiring rework turned out. Right after I finished I went ahead and did the ignition coil relay mod. I wish I had thought ahead enough to work in the ignition coil relay/rewire as a part of the main harness rework, but.... I didn't. I guess there's all winter for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8824.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	41602   Click image for larger version

Name:	31.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	41610  

- "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

'92 VN750
AGM battery, Iridium Spark plugs, Repaired/upgraded wiring per Mcinturff method, RLU removed, Repaired shift linkage, Exhaust baffles removed, Black ISO grips installed, installed SH775 R/R, Ignition coil relay mod, replaced stator housing.

Future projects: whatever it takes to keep riding

Currently working on: Light bar, LED upgrades, Dash cleanup/paint
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:35 PM

Garage
Repost Pics

Could you possibly repost the pics or create a set on tumblr? I just got my first bike and I'm wanting to do this , thanks either way!
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 08:48 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinturff View Post
Thanks to photobucket, most of the photos are now not visible. I made this thread into a pdf and updated some information. Here you go guys:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_V...ew?usp=sharing

Let me know if there are any issues viewing it. Feel free to PM any questions.
Will this help?

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I PM'd him. I'm thrilled that this thread has helped others fix the mess that is the Vulcan's wiring harness.

I'm thinking of making a new battery box sometime this summer so that the battery can be removed without pulling off the seat.
Thorn likes this.

Engineer/Motorcycle Junkie

Junction Box Bypass:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...-problems.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement