Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Post-Tuxedo Check-up

Is there a way to fault check the mod? I've been under the assumption that it doesn't matter the orientation of the three yellow wires, and otherwise I followed the stickies and the tutorials, but I've having a few issues starting back out. It idles just fine, holds a solid 12.8v and rises with the rpm, but once I got it into gear and out of the driveway, it starts bucking and the was flashing as if it was losing power intermittently, and dies at the end of the street (luckily at the top of a hill). I haven't tried to start it back up, and its got a 1can/gallon mix of seafoam in it because its been out of commission due to the stator for a while, but otherwise im not sure what could be going on. The engine doesnt seem to be making any weird noises otherwise, and im getting a bit of backfiring on revs but i assume thats seafoam and dust. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:16 AM
Tinkerer

Garage
I take it you've retested your stator and R/R with a voltage meter, to make sure they're both working 100% ?

Man can not live by bread alone... he needs Duct tape & WD40
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz73 View Post
I take it you've retested your stator and R/R with a voltage meter, to make sure they're both working 100% ?
I'll test the stator again now that it's on the bike, but I thought the only way to test the R/R is to get a new one? Also the peacock gasket is leaking, but i would think that would feel more like a poogs than the shuddering buck that it was doing

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lVluffin View Post
It idles just fine, holds a solid 12.8v and rises with the rpm, but once I got it into gear and out of the driveway, it starts bucking and the was flashing as if it was losing power intermittently, and dies at the end of the street .
Check your grounds and battery cables to make sure they're tight. Make sure your stator wires are plugged in tight also. Just sounds like a loose wire somewhere. Did you put dielectric grease on your wire connections.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
Quote:
It idles just fine, holds a solid 12.8v and rises with the rpm, but once... .
Check your grounds and battery cables to make sure they're tight. Make sure your stator wires are plugged in tight also. Just sounds like a loose wire somewhere. Did you put dielectric grease on your wire connections.
Yeah, just went back with electronics cleaner and dielectric grease on the connections and battery terminals, and it did better, if only marginally. If found that it really started freaking out when I put the side stand down but I couldn't find anything that it could be pinching. Also noticed I was getting over 14v while I was trying to make the block, made it almost half way. Right exhaust is getting hotter, faster, and the left seems particularly weak.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Would the two wire mod cut a lot of potential problems or add to my confusion? I had planned on doing it eventually anyway
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:44 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Would the two wire mod cut a lot of potential problems or add to my confusion? I had planned on doing it eventually anyway
if you have an electrical problem before the two wire you will still have an electrical problem after

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

so short of rewiring the whole system to update it, is there anywhere is should be poking that multimeter to help me whittle down variables? spark plugs have good sparks at least from the leads, and tomorrow I'll disconnect the extra lights and biz (2 led strips and an led voltmeter, aftermarket tail lights) from the battery, and see if i can get any change. honestly the wiring probably needs to be redone, i feel like 28 years is all i can expect wiring to last, but idk. i only know of two previous owners and the last one kept it on his porch, but it ran fine until the stator went. most of the wiring is bunched and taped/ziptied
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

so what about this ( https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...-problems.html ) looks like a good way to at least eliminate old/faulty wiring from being the cause? or am i overestimating the depth of mcinturf's mod/rewire?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

it also seemed to help to have my high beams on, but you know, that correlation v causation thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement