Is an RR relocation really necessary? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Is an RR relocation really necessary?

Ok, as I understand it the whole reason behind relocating the RR is to cool it down. It's not happy where the stock location is.
But how much does it REALLY NEED to cool down?
Without going all through the Electrical section here on the website, has anyone simply taken a roto-tool and opened up a 1/2 inch wide by 2 inch long opening on the lead side of one side cover (where the Vulcan logo is) and a same sized opening on the trailing side of the other cover?
I'm not sure how much cross ventilation that would provide but it should be something.
After all, how much does the RR really need to survive?
Relocating is fine and I was going to do it this winter but the more I think about it the less I am content having a vital electrical component out in the open where a boot heel can leave you stranded 50 miles from the nearest microbe.
I'm curious if cross ventilating the existing area will suffice. It's at least protected in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
First why would you want to destroy such nice looking pieces of plastic for this??? second the relocation of the R/R is very easy...took me 15 minutes...a lot less time than trying to cut the covers...and thirdly...there are two reasons for relocating the R/R. First reason is to cool the R/R off, and secondly to make sure that battery acid can't dripp down onto it and destroy the connections.

as for the R/R being out in the open...our VN 750's are one of the few bikes to have it tucked away...most bike manufacturers put it out in the open under the radiator, or on the side like we relocate ours too. I relocated mine to just under and behind the passenger foot peg, and there is no way that my passenger would be able to kick it unless he/she was trying to.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

I suspect the cross ventilation would be minimal. It would also be a shame to butcher the side covers that way IMHO. I don`t know if a R/R does any good or not. But I`m pretty sure it doesn`t do any harm if placed thoughtfully.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

After seeing some pictorials on relocating it I don't doubt that it's a relatively easy move to do. But I also believe that the venting can be accomplished without destroying or butchering the side covers.
It just seems easier to me to vent the area rather than relocate it. I suppose it all depends on how steady a hand you have on a roto-tool and how neatly you can make the holes look.
As for it having minimal venting affects, that's possible, sure. But as I asked originally, how much would it really take to ensure long term survivability of the RR?
I wonder how hot (in degrees) things get where it's at from the factory and how much venting would cool things (in degrees). If a 10 degree drop is sufficient and can be done by venting, I don't really need to make a 50 degree drop (or whatever since I don't know how hot it gets in there) by relocating it.
These are questions that I'm not really imagining I'll get hard data answers to but it does make me wonder. If I can take care of all future RR component overheating issues by something that I can do sitting at my kitchen table and making careful, tasteful vent slots, then I'd prefer doing it that way. As long as it looks nice and is not a hatchet job.
I'm pretty good at fine-work and a roto-tool.
As for acid dropping on things, I'd have to take a closer look myself to devise a countermeasure for that.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 05:51 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I considered venting my side covers, and my plan was to put the hole(s) on the front and back edges of the covers, so they couldn't be seen easily and the air would be "forced" through while riding.

I think if the goat belly is gone, alot of the "cooking effect" is removed, and once a sealed MF battery is put in, then the leaking acid issue is resolved.

If you removed the GB and change the batt, the R/R would probably be ok without any additional venting.

I don't think anybody has specifically test/checked the temp differences or effects of one location over the other, the idea behind moving it is based mostly on common sense, that more air flow and no battery acid will extend it's life.

Try it and see how it goes.

As mentioned above though, on most other bikes, especially newer models the R/R is mounted from the factory in a more open location.

Last edited by 750Doug; 10-29-2008 at 05:54 AM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 05:53 AM

Best place for it as far as I'm concerned is just below the steering head - this bike is the only one I know of that has the R/R beneath the battery, most other makes HD for one have it at the pointy end of the bike, Honda's VT600 has it neatly placed in the frame on the left side so in short moving it really is necessary.

I'm yet to come across a Jappa with such British wiring I've owned a coupla beezers and trumpy's and the vn750 is on par with them for shoddy electrics so any help items such as the R/R can get has to be a good thing.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I took off my side covers and had my R/R last two weeks before the goats belly burnt it up. I relocated the R/R right after that and haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood).

Bulldog has a kit to relocate the R/R that makes it a pretty straight forward procedure. With his bracket and a new R/R it should take a person with no wrenching skills half an hour to install. Also I have seen a pigtail that extends the stock R/R wiring harness enough to locate the R/R to in front of the grill, which IMO would be the best place to relocate the R/R to.

the only way i could see modding the side covers to make a difference would be to make a ram air system that directs cold air straight down to the R/R and incorporate some fans for when the bike is sitting still.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 08:16 AM

Would it really be necessary to move it if you've degoated? Since the heat source has been moved, I would think that would solve the problem. That's one reason I never considered moving mine.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 AM

not looking at the bike i think it can be a good idea if done right, to bad you can not find some chrome inserts (like little scoops). the only negative i see is getting water and debris in there.

Last edited by dutter; 10-29-2008 at 08:43 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
Would it really be necessary to move it if you've degoated? Since the heat source has been moved, I would think that would solve the problem. That's one reason I never considered moving mine.
depends on two factors...first how much stop and go traffic riding you do, how much you trust the battery not to dribble on it.

I would think if you degoated then the R/R temps should drop...but I personally think that if Kawasaki moved the R/R to the front and the shifter side on other model of Vulcans...then there is a reason for it...Like i mentioned b4, I have never seen a R/R mounted under the battery on any other bike. (Not saying that we are the only ones).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement