Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Starter spins freely

Tags
starter
1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Gonzalez 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't been able to ride my 95 vn750 lately so I haven't had time to wrench on the bike or even be active on the forum. My bike sat for like a month I bought a new AGM battery for it and a soliniod (mine went bad) installed them without a hitch. I put my key in the ignition all my lights lit up but once I touched the starter button it would just spin freely. I don't know much about starters well practically nothing. Not sure if the soliniod I put in is part of the issue (its identical to the one I pulled out) I just wanted to know if someone will be kind enough to make me a check list of things to check so I can narrow down the issue and hopefully have my bike up and running soon.

#2 ·
If by spinning freely you mean there's NO engine movement, just the whirring of the starter motor, then you probably have a bad starter clutch. Your electronics are good if this is the case. Unfortunately it means opening up the engine to fix it. I've heard of people running seafoam in the oil for a short while to clear buildup off the sprags inside the starter clutch, letting them move more freely. Might be worth a shot before tearing apart the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.