Electrical Problem? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Electrical Problem?

This is a continuation of my thread about my carbs here. Now that they are clean and working right I think I am having electrical problems.

I just put new spark plug wires and iridium plugs in my bike and I still cannot get it to start. I got it running for about 15 seconds and then it died. I realized I didn't have the choke on so I engaged it and tried again. I managed to get it to turn over several more times but it would run for about 3 seconds and die again. After a few tries of this it appeared the starter would "give up" and instead of the engine trying to turn over, my tachometer would spike up in rpms to about 5-6k and stay there as long as I held the start button. If I leave it alone for a couple hours afterward the bike will attempt to start again and fail, continuing the cycle of not working. Any thoughts on this?

I checked my coils and they all measure correct. I am at a loss at what to check next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
what is the battery voltage??? Did you check the pickup coils inside the stator cover?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

The battery is shot, so when I try to start it I am jumping it off my car battery. I have not checked those coils yet, how do I go about doing that?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

A car battery is a bad thing to use on top of a bike battery, that's a "no-no".

Get a good battery, a bike battery and go from there. If there was anything left of that bike battery, using the car battery finished it off.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
i will tell you how to check the pickup coils after you get a new battery....the coils won't work until then
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

So I got the new battery today. Bike started up immediately, yay! But then I notice an oil leak (pretty fast dripping) coming from up near the stator. So I shut the bike down and grabbed a screwdriver so I could open the stator cover to see if there was anything wrong there I could see. Lo and behold I open in up and I have steel shavings sticking to the coils! Where would this be coming from since it seems nearly everything on the engine is aluminum? How screwed am I? I'm imagining I'll need to pull the engine to fix whatever it is.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
sounds like the balancer to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement