Smoking wires / won't start
Last night I was driving home from work and stopped at the liquor store for a 6 pack. I wasn't in the store for more than 5 minutes and when I attempted to start the bike i got a hint of it turning over and then lots of clicking. I waited about ten minutes and tried again (thinking that it may be some hot start issue) and same thing happened except this time I could smell burning plastic or wires. It was dark and so I walked it the 1/4 mile back to my apartment. This morning I tried to start it again and this time I could see smoke coming from the wiring harness. I've attached a picture to show where the heat is burning through the electrical tape. I looked at the battery terminals and noticed that the metal piece that connects the negative lead to the frame (I'm guessing to ground?) had broken. Could that be causing a short and the wiring system to overheat? Also, what part number is that? I will order it from bike bandit. I already purchased a new (used) wiring harness from a 2004 that is in good condition to replace the old one. Could there be another issue causing wires to melt? The battery, stator, and regulator were all replaced about 5,000 miles ago. The regulator has not been relocated yet, though. Any help is greatly appreciated!!