Can't find LED tail late replacement bulb - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Can't find LED tail late replacement bulb

I've been looking all over custom dynamics for a pair of 1157 red tail late light replacement, but all I can find is the 1157 amd 1156 amber turn signals. I'm anout to buy a pair of each because they look high quality, and I already bought the recommended LED turn sign relay. But I'd like to replace the tail light, license plate light, and eventually a quality low wattage HID head lamp as well. Can I successfully red 1156 singles in the tail late, or will they burn out or cause further problems. I also wanted to see if I could get away with using single 1156 in the front signals, since I think they;re useless driving lights using up battery voltage along the incandescent head lamp.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with the tail light, preferably with custom dynamics; and answer if 1156 in the front turn signals is feasible? I'm still dealing with charging systems somewhere after replacing the stator and rectifier and need to conserve as much electricity as possible, since the bike almost dies everytime on my way home from work.

2006 VN750A
Purchased in August 2015 with 8,500 miles, currently at around 15,000 miles
Once earshaved, but recently reinstalled a modified surgetank and airboxes(like the sound and look better)
K&N air filters
Jetted
Coastered
Vance & Hines Cruizer Pipes
Tuxedo mod
Blue-wire, Two-wire, and sidestand-switch modded
NGK Iridium plugs
New lithium constantly hooked up to a battery tender
Possibly dead, but brand new Caltric stator and R/R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 04:24 AM
Tinkerer

Garage
2x Red 9-LED [BAY15D,380,1157,P21/5w] 12v Stop/Brake Light Bulbs | eBay

I got mine on eBay, I'm in the UK, but surely they're bound to be on US eBay?... in saying that, I've gotta buy most of my used VN parts from from USA, definitely more popular your side of the pond.

Man can not live by bread alone... he needs Duct tape & WD40
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 08:20 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I think the 1156 and 1157 use different receptacles. Not sure why you'd want to lose the front running lights, especially if they are LED's.

You do know, that replacing all your lights with LED's and not having something else on the bike using the leftover power will mean your R/R will just be grounding that power out, thus increasing heat in the unit and likely it's lifespan?

Switching everything to LED's only makes sense if you plan on installing some other power using item like heated grips, heated gear, a radio, or driving lights.

And why do you want red bulbs? Are you installing a clear lense?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 09-12-2016 at 08:30 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Expendable newbie

Garage
The base on the 1156 and 1157 is different. 1157 has two pins/bumps or what ever you call it on the bottom and 1156 has one. Even if it fits, I don't know if it would work properly.

If you don't want the front signal lights to be driving lights or continuously on then you can just disconnect a wire. The signal lights has three wires. One of them is ground, one of them makes it blink when you signal, and one is the running lights. You would want to disconnect the running lights wire, which i believe is the blue one. You will need to open the headlight bucket to do so.

Don't take my word for it. I'm just a foolish newbie.
When in doubt, just know that I am only joking around.

95 VN750
Top speed is 112 mph at ~7900 rpm
Blacked out engine
Dry rusty splines finally lubed for the first time
R/R relocated to the side of fuse box
Rust removed from tank
Marbled
In line fuel filter, 23-28 micron rating
Voltmeter
Gear indicator
LED turn signals & brake light
16 color LED engine light up & underglow
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

So should I go with clear bulbs all the way around since I'm using the stock colors lenses? I'm doing this because I'm pretty much running a gas powered electric bike, and by the end of my commute to work, my lights dim and I can't see s***, so I'm trying to conserve as much battery life I can get between charges, and maybe a little more light during the night. I also plan on installing this digital voltmeter gauge I have, which I'm assuming is gonna eat up some electricity. I'll be upgrading to a MOSFET R/R here shortly once the funds are in order. Gotta pay off debt from some other projects right now.

2006 VN750A
Once earshaved, but recently reinstalled a modified surgetank and airboxes(like the sound and look better)
K&N air filters
Jetted
Coastered
Tuxedo mod
NGK Iridium plugs
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 01:42 PM
Tinkerer

Garage
I used the red led bulbs in my DR800's tail light, it had a red lens and it was bright, I'm assuming the VN750 will be the same?... haven't been able to test as my bike is stripped to the frame lol

Man can not live by bread alone... he needs Duct tape & WD40
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 05:09 PM

Garage
well ****! i had a post all typed up and my browser stopped.

lets see what i can remember.

you want to get red LEDs to use with a red lens. if you get white LEDs then your brake and running lights will be dimmer than with your stock bulbs. i am sure you have heard this, but if not, the lens doesnt change the color of the light. it actually filters the light and only allows the red light to pass through it. LEDs produce a very specific spectrum of light, so white LEDs dont have much red light to pass through. science and ****!

i have been looking at Custom Dynamic too. i think you can get the regular Genesis Universal LED Clusters in red. you will need two with the 1157 base. they come in 1", 1.25" and 1.8". i havent taken off my tail light lens to measure to see which ones will fit. dont get the Dynamic Clusters. they have an outer ring of lights and work differently that the rest of the cluster. you might also need to get ones with pig tails. those options are in a drop down menu once you put them in your cart.

they also have tail light boards for Harley and Yamaha, here. im not sure if they will work and im sure they will need some moding.

Drew
'03 VN750 a little over 4300 miles
Spline lube
F&S Rear blinker relocation
F&S Luggage rack
Saddlebags
F&S Extended backrest
Mustang seat
F&S Engine guard
Plexifairing 3 windshield
KM style dash
LED everything + additional brake lights &
LED plate bolts

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew M. View Post
i have been looking at Custom Dynamic too. i think you can get the regular Genesis Universal LED Clusters in red. you will need two with the 1157 base. they come in 1", 1.25" and 1.8". i havent taken off my tail light lens to measure to see which ones will fit. dont get the Dynamic Clusters. they have an outer ring of lights and work differently that the rest of the cluster. you might also need to get ones with pig tails. those options are in a drop down menu once you put them in your cart.

they also have tail light boards for Harley and Yamaha, here. im not sure if they will work and im sure they will need some moding.
The color passing through the lens I can get, except that white light is all colors of light. But I'm not trying to replacing the stock tail light housing and the only LED replacements I see on custom dynamics is white or amber. And what do I do about replacing the license plate light? I know there's a thread about HID headlight conversion, but doesn't that suck up more juice? is there any other reliable options for low voltage/wattage high beam/low beam headlights? I'm not so concerned about safety.

I'd really like to get all the lights from the same vendor. So does anyone know of any other vendors?

2006 VN750A
K&N air filters
Jetted
Coastered
Tuxedo mod
NGK Iridium plugs
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 06:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.BADNEWS View Post
The color passing through the lens I can get, except that white light is all colors of light. But I'm not trying to replacing the stock tail light housing and the only LED replacements I see on custom dynamics is white or amber. And what do I do about replacing the license plate light? I know there's a thread about HID headlight conversion, but doesn't that suck up more juice? is there any other reliable options for low voltage/wattage high beam/low beam headlights? I'm not so concerned about safety.

I'd really like to get all the lights from the same vendor. So does anyone know of any other vendors?
that is true for incandescent lamps, which is what our stock lamps are. LEDs work a little different. so although a white LED has some red light that is allowed to pass through the lens, there isnt nearly as much as with our stock lamps. a red LED however ends up with much more light passing through.

you should be able to find the replacement clusters here. about a quarter to a third of the way down the page, right in the middle, you will see a red cluster. below that you will see where you can add the 1", 1.25" or 1.8" clusters in to your cart. once they are in your cart you can select that you want red.

as for the headlight i have heard mixed reviews for this. for the license plate i am getting a little tiny bulb that is on superbrightleds.com. the website isnt working right now or i would give you a link. hopefully they are back up soon.

as far as getting everything from one place. you can search search superbrightleds.com. they have a large selection of stuff for motorcycles, boats and RVs, but i am not sure you are going to be able to find what you want.

EDIT: the LED license plate bulbs i am looking at are these or these.

Drew
'03 VN750 a little over 4300 miles
Spline lube
F&S Rear blinker relocation
F&S Luggage rack
Saddlebags
F&S Extended backrest
Mustang seat
F&S Engine guard
Plexifairing 3 windshield
KM style dash
LED everything + additional brake lights &
LED plate bolts

Last edited by Drew M.; 09-16-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement