92 750 won't start - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Question 92 750 won't start

hey guys and gals i'm pretty new to this motorcycle repair thing but i'm trying to help out a buddy. his bike won't turn over at all and i've been through 14 pages of the electrical forum. so this is what i.ve done so far fully charged the battery, checked and wire brushed connections at relay, checked continuity connecting wire from relay to starter, cleaned battery terminals, and made sure kickstand was up, bike was in nuetral, and clutch was engaged. all i get is a clicking sound from the relay when i hit the starter button. any info on this will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sounds like you've been really thorough - what comes to mind now is the ground end of things. Check that all the ground wires are clean and coming into full contact with the frame (or whatever). Also, double-check that the starter lead is set up properly - the starter body itself serves to ground the unit, but the positive lead (from the relay) goes onto that little bolt at the bottom of the starter motor. There are some washers on the bolt that need to be in the right order for the thing to work - insulated washer, copper washer, positive lead, steel washer, bolt. If things still won't start, there's a possiblility that the insulation inside the starter unit is fubarred - but don't jump off that bridge just yet (it's an easy catch, but there are plenty of other troyubleshooting tips to be tried in the interim).

C
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by glette View Post
hey guys and gals i'm pretty new to this motorcycle repair thing but i'm trying to help out a buddy. his bike won't turn over at all and i've been through 14 pages of the electrical forum. so this is what i.ve done so far fully charged the battery, checked and wire brushed connections at relay, checked continuity connecting wire from relay to starter, cleaned battery terminals, and made sure kickstand was up, bike was in nuetral, and clutch was engaged. all i get is a clicking sound from the relay when i hit the starter button. any info on this will be greatly appreciated, thanks
I give a +1 to everything Cindy said. Double check starter to be sure it is well grounded.

Double check battery voltage to make sure you still have~12.5 V

Since you can hear the relay click, you know that the trigger circuit with all the safety switches is working.

(I just edited a bunch of stuff out because skyriders explaination in the next post is easier to follow than mine was.)

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 10-07-2008 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Skyrider`s next post is easier to follow than mine

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 PM

When I had a similar problem, cleaning the terminals on the solenoid cured it.

Check the connections from the positive side of the battery all the way to the starter. That long black wire leading to the side of the starter motor is the positive lead from the solenoid to the starter. The starter is grounded to the motor case. If that doesn't help, trace it again from the negative side of the battery. This means not only the lead from the battery but the one that attaches to the frame just above the battery as well as the engine grounding lead by the forward bevel gear. The only other thing in the link is the starter switch itself.

Does the bike turn over if you hook a battery to ground and then touch the positive lead to the outside solenoid terminal. If the engine turns over, it's not the starter and you need to continue checking electrical connections.
See the "What I have learned about our electrical systems" post.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

thanks everybody for the input here is what i have found out so far. i cleaned up negative batetery cable on battery and on frame i also cleaned terminals on relay and lead from back of engine case to frame. i also took a set of jumper cables and connected to the battery then other end of cables to the frame and touched positive to the starter itself and starter turned over although it sounded like it was turning over a little slow. as far as the cable being hooked up to the starter i did have a question, my starter has a nut and insulated washer holding it to the case then another insulated washer, metal washer, cable, then nut. no sign of a copper washer but i am going to the hardware store today to pick one up. but even with this still no start but i really appreciate everyones input. thanks glette
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

What year is the bike? Might be that you need to clean out the starter internally.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:27 PM

Here's a good thread on electrical bugs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glette View Post
thanks everybody for the input here is what i have found out so far. i cleaned up negative batetery cable on battery and on frame i also cleaned terminals on relay and lead from back of engine case to frame. i also took a set of jumper cables and connected to the battery then other end of cables to the frame and touched positive to the starter itself and starter turned over although it sounded like it was turning over a little slow. as far as the cable being hooked up to the starter i did have a question, my starter has a nut and insulated washer holding it to the case then another insulated washer, metal washer, cable, then nut. no sign of a copper washer but i am going to the hardware store today to pick one up. but even with this still no start but i really appreciate everyones input. thanks glette
You definitely need the copper, not the steel or aluminum, in the right position (she said, speaking from experience). And you want the first insulated washer up against the case, not the nut against he case. The power is to go straight from the solenoid into the starter motor - any opportunity the amps have to ground themselves (i.e. against the case) before getting to the motor proper means less juice where it needs to go. That may be why you were getting a slow turn off the direct cable hookups as well.

C
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 10:19 AM

Hi glette

Have you got a multimeter in the toolbox, if you have put it to volts and stick the negative lead to the frame and check through the circuit to the starter motor with the positive lead. Get 12v at the motor terminal all looks ok electrically, then look at the starter motor or bad connections, when you draw the heavy current to turn the starter motor and small resistance (bad connections) will drop the volts at the starter motor.

Hope you win soon
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

ok everybody sorry i havent got back to you in a couple of days had to do the husband thing and take care of my wife (major surgery came through it just fine). i did check to see if i had current running through the starter relay with key on i had voltage to battery side of relay but when i hit starter switch never had any voltage coming to the starter side of relay. so i took out relay and took it apart and it looked pretty burnt up so now i.'m looking for a new relay local bike shop said the relay would be around $100.00 bucks does that sound reasonable? thanks, glette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement