Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

No Head Light

Hi,
My headlight quit working, no hi beam or low beam. The tail light does work. I check all the fuses, and the light bulb with an ohm meter. When I turn the ignition on, I do not get any 12 volt on any of the 3 positions. I looked at the diagram and see "Reserve lighting unit". Not to sure what that is, does it contain the headlight relay?
Any ideas on what might be the problem? I also check the hi/lo beam switch and did not see any 12 volts on it either.
Thanks,
Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 12:45 AM

Garage
Heya.
Just a quick anatomy primer before digging into the diagnosis:
The starter relay is in the junction box, not the reserve lighting unit. The junction box is under the left side cover, and the reserve lighting unit is under the right cover.

Everything I say here is assuming you have a stock electrical system.

First off, your headlight shouldn't come on until the engine is running, so just turning your ignition on won't send electricity to any of the headlight circuitry coming out of the junction box. You SHOULD see 12v at the headlight fuse when the ignition is on, though. I wasn't clear on which '3 positions' you checked for voltage when the ignition was on.

If you aren't seeing 12v at the headlight fuse with the ignition on, then you're looking at either a bad ignition switch or a broken brown&white wire between the ignition and the junction box.

If you ARE seeing 12v at the headlight fuse with the ignition on, but the headlight doesn't come on when you start the engine, try doing the blue wire mod to bypass the headlight relay, which may have gone bad.

If the blue wire mod does not help, then the RLU might be a factor, but we'll deal with that if we have to.
Paulywog likes this.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Before the headlight quit working, it was on when turning the ignition switch and before running the engine. Maybe the previous owner made some modification. Anyway, Thank you for the advice, I will check these in a few minutes.
Thanks,
Charles

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 10:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guggech View Post
Before the headlight quit working, it was on when turning the ignition switch and before running the engine. Maybe the previous owner made some modification. Anyway, Thank you for the advice, I will check these in a few minutes.
Thanks,
Charles
That means the previous owner probably did the blue wire mod, or something very similar. If the standard procedure was used and the wire was just moved from one spot on the junction box connector to another, you'll want to check the TAIL light fuse to see if it is blown and/or has 12v+ at both fuse terminals.

Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guggech View Post
Thanks,
Charles
That means the previous owner probably did the blue wire mod, or something very similar. If the standard procedure was used and the wire was just moved from one spot on the junction box connector to another, you'll want to check the TAIL light fuse to see if it is blown and/or has 12v+ at both fuse terminals.
I know this is an old post but you are slightly wrong on this. The newer models of the 750 have a running headlight anytime the ignition is turned. (I have a 2004 and my headlight just started doing the same(stopped working) but usually comes on with the ignition).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VULcan2004 View Post
I know this is an old post but you are slightly wrong on this. The newer models of the 750 have a running headlight anytime the ignition is turned. (I have a 2004 and my headlight just started doing the same(stopped working) but usually comes on with the ignition).
No, they all have the headlight triggered by the headlight relay when the stator begins putting out AC voltage, either when the engine starts, or has cranked enough to trigger the relay..

If your headlight comes on as soon as the key is turned on, it has had the Blue Wire mod.
Thorn likes this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Quote:
No, they all have the headlight triggered by the headlight relay when the stator begins putting out AC voltage, either when the engine starts, or has cranked enough to trigger the relay..

If your headlight comes on as soon as the key is turned on, it has had the Blue Wire mod.
I’ve checked the bike. It’s all stock, maybe the newer year are set up differently. The blue wire mod has not been done.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

my 2005 did not turn on the headlight until the engine was spinning fast enough to produce a bit of power in the stator

my 2005's was untouched when I got it. only mod I made to wiring was the 2 wire mod (a variation of it), and that mod does not effect headlight operation

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Iíve checked the bike. Itís all stock, maybe the newer year are set up differently. The blue wire mod has not been done.
Pics or it didn't happen, and even so, never claim 'stock' unless you bought it new off the assembly line.

Unless you're running a 2000 or earlier from outside US/Canada, you've got a modded circuit if your headlight comes on with the ignition. Maybe not the exact blue-wire mod outlined in the forum, but not stock.

Service Manual Download
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Quote:
I’ve checked the bike. It’s all stock, maybe the newer year are set up differently. The blue wire mod has not been done.
Pics or it didn't happen, and even so, never claim 'stock' unless you bought it new off the assembly line.

Unless you're running a 2000 or earlier from outside US/Canada, you've got a modded circuit if your headlight comes on with the ignition. Maybe not the exact blue-wire mod outlined in the forum, but not stock.
I’ll look into it. However I got the bike from my father-in-law who never touched the bike after he put 1400miles on it from the dealership and stored it in his garage. About 14 years later I asked if he would sell it sense I knew it hadn’t been touched with only 1400 miles on it. (Bought brand new from a Kawasaki dealer in VA).

I’ll see if I can make a video of the bike. I’m having the same issue with mine, the headlight is out and it won’t turn over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement