Replaced Stator, shift spindle play - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
ryn

Replaced Stator, shift spindle play

Well I got all the hard work done, made sure to do a clean job on everything. But when I put the shifter back on I had to tap it on with a mallet and the spindle slid in about an inch. I very distinctly remember testing for play before I started reassembly but I must have missed something. My question is is it absolutely necessary to take the whole motor back out to replace the clip? Can I get at it from the other side cover? (where the convenient removable frame section is) Or can I just leave it as is and put a short length of tubing with a set screw into the spindle to keep if from slipping in? Or will that clip find its way somewhere and do some major damage? I'm really hoping theres some way I can just fish it out or leave it be. It was a long night to replace the stator, I'd hate to have to do that again so soon.

Although overall I think it was a fairly simple task. The stupid surge tank was in the way and made it the most difficult. And I was convinced I could cock the motor and get it back in without removing the bevel gear cover, I'm still pretty confident it can be done, but I was by myself at that point around 4 in the morning... So maybe with some assistance you could save a few bucks and a few minutes. i just couldnt do three things at once.

Now all I need is to fix the exhaust that pretty much fell apart when I removed it, put my speedo cable on, do some wiring and find a R/R and hopefully not pull everything back out to put a stupid clip on. And she will be ready to ride... maybe come October I'll be on the road...

-ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I did the same thing on a rebuild - there's a circlip that goes up against the internal engine block (to keep it from sliding in) and one that goes up against the outer cover (to keep it from sliding out). In lieu of another engine pull, I put the lever at the right position and put a hose clamp on it - kept it from sliding in. It may be a bad fix, however, so I'll let others pipe in. We can't be the only two who ever did this? lol

C
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 02:29 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
In lieu of another engine pull, I put the lever at the right position and put a hose clamp on it - kept it from sliding in. It may be a bad fix, however, so I'll let others pipe in. We can't be the only two who ever did this? lol
That's somewhat how many fix this problem. Many have made a spacer outta a piece of pipe or something to keep the shaft from moving back & forth.
You could also just use a bunch of washers.

Next time Ryn, spread the clamp of the shift pedal open some, so it easily slides onto the shaft.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
Next time Ryn, spread the clamp of the shift pedal open some, so it easily slides onto the shaft.

C
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
ryn

So the clip that may have dropped into the crankcase isn't much of anything to worry about? cause if so i was originally going to do the hose clamp thing, it was the first thing that came to mind, but I figured a short section of 1/2 or so tubing would look better. Next time I replace the stator (which it seems will happen based on everyones experience, but hopefully not) I'll fix the shift spindle. Thanks alot.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:39 PM

It probably didn't drop into the side cover area, most likely is just slid out of its groove and is still on the shaft. Mine did that on my first engine pull and rebuild and was waiting for me when I pulled it again to replace the stator. It was a simple matter of sliding it back into its groove where it has remained since.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
It probably didn't drop into the side cover area, most likely is just slid out of its groove and is still on the shaft. Mine did that on my first engine pull and rebuild and was waiting for me when I pulled it again to replace the stator. It was a simple matter of sliding it back into its groove where it has remained since.
Come to think of it, that's where mine was, too. Jim, what did you use in the interim (i.e. until you pulled the engine again)?

C
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 10:16 PM

Being the ignorant fool that I am, I just let it be. I now have a wear spot on the frame where the shift lever rubbed against the tube. Other than that, I haven't had any problems that I know of. One thing I do know about Ursula though, when I fix one problem, three more show up so the jury is out on this one.
This being said, I would still recommend using some type of clamp or cable tie or something to keep the shift lever in the correct position. At the least it will prevent you from having a distinctive wear mark on your frame and at most it may prevent some type of internal failure.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement