This may be a longer post, but I want to give you all the information I can to perhaps resolve this issue. I know there are a lot of smarter people than me out there.
I have a 2003 VN750 which I personally have chopped and bobbed; however, the heart of the bike is still there. I purchased the doner bike with a known bad stator. Since then, I have completed the following.
1. Pulled engine and replaced stator...along with the tuxedo modification. Replaced the rotor which was scarred up from stator failure. Like a dumbass, I did not go with the best stator available. It is an Electrosport if it makes any difference.
2. Replaced ignition switch from Handlebar area and went with a simple on-off-accessory key style.
3. Has a NEW Shorai Lithium Battery
4. has a NEW Mosfet Voltage regulator and wiring harness.
5. Has LED Turn signals. Has single bobber tailight. I already bypassed the headlight relay by moving blue wire.
6. This bike no longer has the instrument cluster. It is as simple as a bobber can ge.
The bike runs fantastic at 12 volts and full charge when its cold. After it heats up, it starts to act up and finally quits all together. Today, it killed the battery in a short time....ANF it blew the 30amp fuse for some reason. Never done that before.
Stator is testing good....I think. Getting 50-60 AC Volts through each leg of stator leads. Also, each leg is zero ing out on the ohm meter. However, I am still only getting 12.6-12.8 volts from this new mosfet voltage regulator at any speed. Then, all of a sudden, the bottom will drop out of the battery and voltage will be sucked out of it. Next thing I know, the brand new battery is dead. I even pulled the headlight and tail light fuse to see if it made a difference...no change.
I guess my question is: Is is still possible the stator is acting up even if it is testing good with a meter? Could it be shorting out when it gets hot? Any other ideas?
I am planning on giving my new build to my son who is currently deployed in the US Army overseas. I have about two months to work this out. He has spent the past 6 years protecting me here in the USA, it is the least I can do or him as a surprise when he comes home. I just need to work through this issue.