86 750 electrical help - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

86 750 electrical help

Hello everyone. I recently picked up a 1986. The previous owner tore it apart and lost intrest in the bike. the wiring is pretty hack but all the gauges light up when you turn the key. My plan is to just see if I can get the bike to fire up before I really tear into it. The start button on the handle bar controls is busted out. Is there a way to bypass the switch for now? Also what other sensors will give me trouble with trying to start the bike and is there ways to bypass them for the time being. I should mention that I don't plan on riding the bike with hack wiring I just want to hear it run before I sink a bunch of time and money into it. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 03:22 PM

You can wire in a start button at the starter solenoid.

Find the smallest wire on the solenoid, has a spade connector. Yellow/red may be the color, not sure, but the smallest of the three wires. Wire the button between the spade terminal on the solenoid, and a 12v power source.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:03 PM

Garage
If you disconnect the main wiring harness from the right handlebar electrical harness, you can jump the kill switch by connecting the Yellow/Red striped and Red wires. You can then quickly short the Red to the Black/White striped wire to simulate pushing the starter button.

The Brown and Blue wires for the front brake light switch can be ignored.

That being said, you need to pull the gas tank off in order to get to the connector between the main harness and the handlebar switches. No fun.

SOOOoooo..... you can short the leads of the start button without dismantling ANYTHING. On the underside of the housing for the start button/killswitch/throttle cables, there's a tiny keyhole shaped hole. If you shine a flashlight up in there you'll see the red wire soldered to the back of the start switch. Stick a small screwdriver up in there so the side of it is touching that solder joint, and keep sliding the screwdriver in until it bottoms out. The bottom of the hole is a metal plate that is electrically connected to the black/white wire, so when you bottom out your starter motor should crank. Ignition must be 'on' and kill switch must be 'on'.

Regarding other switches that might prevent the bike from starting, you must be in neutral or have the clutch lever pulled in order to start. There is a mod to bypass this (starter relay bypass), but you probably won't need it.

Good luck!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
You can wire in a start button at the starter solenoid.

Find the smallest wire on the solenoid, has a spade connector. Yellow/red may be the color, not sure, but the smallest of the three wires. Wire the button between the spade terminal on the solenoid, and a 12v power source.
Can't help but notice that this method does not provide voltage on pin 2 of the ignition coil ignitor (red/white wire). I don't doubt that your suggested setup works, but does anyone know what the ignitor box does with that input from the start button?

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys back. I fooled with the bike for a bit. I found all kinds of wires hacked up and bad splices. I think the wiring is so bad that I going to try to find another harness to start with.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 01:27 PM

You might look into the Two Wire mod. Hesitated to mention it at first due to the condition of your harness. First, need to see if you get voltage at the JB plug when the start button is pushed.

Sorry, I don't have wire colors and pin numbers right now.

Replacing a harness isn't too bad, each plug will only fit in one place, except for a couple of bullet connectors toward the front. It has been posted, there's a slight variance between years, but easily dealt with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Can't help but notice that this method does not provide voltage on pin 2 of the ignition coil ignitor (red/white wire). I don't doubt that your suggested setup works, but does anyone know what the ignitor box does with that input from the start button?

If you're referring to the small gauge wire on the spade terminal of the solenoid .... Isn't that the start button circuit from the JB?

I don't know of any other wiring coming off the starter solenoid.

Now .. Back toward the start button, before that wire reaches the JB, there's a wire that branches to the IC Ignitor box. That branching wire has remained a mystery, though some of us suspect it may alter timing as the start button is pushed. (branches off the start circuit) We discussed it some in the Two Wire Mod thread.

The starter button I described will only serve to activate the starter.

All this reminds me that I never put those updated pics into post #1 at the Two Wire mod thread.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 01:34 PM

I just re-read your original post ...

If you just want to try and hear the bike run ... Just use a jumper cable. jump from battery positive to the cable running to the starter, or the go to the starter directly. Do not use a light gauge wire! It will get hot, maybe even glow enough to melt rubber, and fingers.

Can cross a screwdriver between the two large cable lugs on the solenoid to activate the starter. (assuming good connections)

In a pinch, I've used a Quarter, but that can get hot too.

2003-21k mi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement