Help, turn signal glow? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Help, turn signal glow?

Hey guys, new to the group. I picked up a 95 Vulcan 750. It's been sitting awhile and it's got it's bugs. First that's bugging me is the right rear turn signal has a glow to it when key is turned on. Blinker still works fine, and when I switched leads to left side the light on that side started to glow but blinker worked fine. I've removed electrical tape between lights and to where they disappear under the tank, but everything appears to be fine. I was told it has a bad rectifier and battery but have not tested them yet. The plug to rectifier and rectifier itself are very corroded. Anyone ever come across anything like this. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

No one?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

well, a bad rectifier and/or battery will NOT affect the turn signals like that. not saying they dont need help, but thats not the turn signal problem.

check the connections to the junction box.. check all the grounds on the bike (ALL of them). check/clean the ignition switch (not the key portion, the actual switch which lives under it).

Also, the easy stuff.. check/replace ALL the bulbs, and look for corrosion in the sockets.

the flasher unit controls both directions of the turn signals with the same pins on it, so if it works right on one, it should be good on both. if in doubt, get a new flasher (recommend electronic one, EP-34, direct swap in, and they are pretty cheap)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Just pulled relay, still glows?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I've also noticed the indicator on dash glows to, I've checked all the grounds I can get ahold of, the only thing I'm unsure about is the trigger wire for starter relay (white with red runner) starts getting warm when key is on and the 4 way flasher button feels sketchy, but no corrosion on inside of left hand controls.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

are you sure you looking at the wire (trigger) right? my manual shows the trigger for the solenoid as being yel/red. white/red is the 12V from battery to junction box.

if everything is ok in the left handle bar switches, then check the plugs at the neck (under left side cover).. 9 pin one.

however, with the flasher pulled, it should not be getting any power beyond it. you must have a short someplace. have you cleaned the ign switch yet? its known to cause all sorts of weird problems

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 02:10 PM

Garage
Do you have the regular incandescent bulb installed, or an LED bulb?

Some cheaply manufactured LED bulbs lack a diode that would prevent feedback current from running lights to the blinker circuit.

If it were me and replacing bulbs and disconnecting the relay didn't change anything, I would look for a short to the lead that comes off the License plate bulb because they are on with the ignition. Check ALL your ground connections!!

Pull the fuses one at a time till the glow goes away...that might help isolate the circuit where the problem is.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 10:34 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
well, a bad rectifier and/or battery will NOT affect the turn signals like that. not saying they dont need help, but thats not the turn signal problem.

check the connections to the junction box.. check all the grounds on the bike (ALL of them). check/clean the ignition switch (not the key portion, the actual switch which lives under it).

Also, the easy stuff.. check/replace ALL the bulbs, and look for corrosion in the sockets.

the flasher unit controls both directions of the turn signals with the same pins on it, so if it works right on one, it should be good on both. if in doubt, get a new flasher (recommend electronic one, EP-34, direct swap in, and they are pretty cheap)
Just a heads up here Jerwood. Not all EP34 electronic flasher units are equal. I bought some LED Tail/Brake/Signal boards from kc2dgq a few years back and he recommended that I get the one in this link when the one I tried from the local NAPA store would not work with the LEDs any better than the stock flasher unit.

https://www.ledlight.com/electronic-...sher-ep34.aspx

Sorry Anthony but I still need to order that flasher too, and a waterproof switch for the auxillary driving lights, so I can post up some pics of the LEDs and your light bar.
PS look for a PM from me too.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys after stepping back and taking a breath, I noticed that the front blinker was on with key like normal, but seemed a bit brighter than the left, hmmm and when I turned the right blinker on the front more twitched than a actual blink, hmmm again. So I decided after noticing a ding on right side of tank to trace the wiring from front blinker into headlight bucket. Oh my, there's speaker wire for a ground, for some reason he had installed a ground from headlight bucket to headlight plug it's blue if anyone has a manual can tell me what if anything it for. After cutting out that stuff fixing what he's done on to the blinker.....that's been replaced and the whole issue was .....drum roll please......two switched wires. After going after them with a test light 5 min had them fixed. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement