Stumped with electrical problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Stumped with electrical problem

Hey everyone!
This is my first post here, so forgive me if I am breaking some sort of forum rule. Anyways I have a (new to me) 2002 Vulcan I named Roxanne. I love her, but she's giving me a lot of problems. I'm pretty good with my hands, but electricity scares the hell out of me. Anyways here's my problem: I will ride somewhere and she'll be running fine the whole time. But if I make a quick stop where I kill me engine (getting gas, going to a store, talking to someone) she won't start back up. The panel will light up, but when I press the start button she doesn't turn over. It bugs the hell out of me. The only solution I have found is waiting. After about 5 or 10 minutes, she'll get running again. I'm pretty certain that the issue lies in my battery (it hasn't been changed, ever), but I fear I could be wrong. Talking to some of my buddies made me more scared. They said it could be my voltage regulator, or my stator (I have no idea what these are). What do you guys think?

Also, if it helps diagnose, I have her on a battery tender right now. The other day she had the issue where I would have the bulb on my tender be green (signifying that the battery is charged), but when I turned her on and press start I would just hear a "CLICK!" to the back right of me, and the battery would die. The problem happened only once, and went away, but it was also concerning to me. The main issue I have been having was with her dying after riding. She usually starts right up in the morning.

Anyways sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 09:57 PM

Garage
Hey,
Here's my opinion, others might have a different point of view.

Your stator and regulator work together to charge your battery while riding. If either were bad you would end up with a battery that got to such a low voltage that it would die while you were riding down the street. It would NOT start up again after letting it sit. You would just have a dead battery.

There have been other people who have no trouble with "cold starts" where the engine has not been running, but cannot get their bike to "hot start" after shutting the bike off after a ride and trying to start it immediately. So you aren't alone.

One culprit seems to be the pickup coil mod which helps control the engine timing. Look for 'pickup coil mod' for a remedy that has helped some overcome the same problem you are facing.

Good luck!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 10:11 PM
Crowley

Funny, this happens to me. After shutting down, the start button will not work at all. Like a dead button. Then after a billion useless pushes, it magically works again.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 05:20 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillllama View Post
Hey everyone!
This is my first post here, so forgive me if I am breaking some sort of forum rule. Anyways I have a (new to me) 2002 Vulcan I named Roxanne. I love her, but she's giving me a lot of problems. I'm pretty good with my hands, but electricity scares the hell out of me. Anyways here's my problem: I will ride somewhere and she'll be running fine the whole time. But if I make a quick stop where I kill me engine (getting gas, going to a store, talking to someone) she won't start back up. The panel will light up, but when I press the start button she doesn't turn over. It bugs the hell out of me. The only solution I have found is waiting. After about 5 or 10 minutes, she'll get running again. I'm pretty certain that the issue lies in my battery (it hasn't been changed, ever), but I fear I could be wrong. Talking to some of my buddies made me more scared. They said it could be my voltage regulator, or my stator (I have no idea what these are). What do you guys think?

Also, if it helps diagnose, I have her on a battery tender right now. The other day she had the issue where I would have the bulb on my tender be green (signifying that the battery is charged), but when I turned her on and press start I would just hear a "CLICK!" to the back right of me, and the battery would die. The problem happened only once, and went away, but it was also concerning to me. The main issue I have been having was with her dying after riding. She usually starts right up in the morning.

Anyways sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help.
I would start with replacing your (14 year old?) battery with a maintenance free battery.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowley1027 View Post
Funny, this happens to me. After shutting down, the start button will not work at all. Like a dead button. Then after a billion useless pushes, it magically works again.
the mod to bypass the nanny switchs (clutch and neutral) will help with this one.. it bypasses the relay in the junction box and connects start button directly to the coil of the solenoid.

some have had other issue arise after the mod.. I did mine slightly different than whats listed in the mod on the forum.. I left the 2 wires connected to j-box, and just ran a jumper between them.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement