Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowley

Rear fender woes

Before I take the rear fender off to check wiring, am I missing anything?

The brake light wires had to be extended, so I have 3 blue wires to connect to the harness. The license plate light is connected correctly.

Brake Light will light up with a brake press, but doesn't have a running light. Also, the license plate light doesn't light.

Tail fuse is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 01:46 PM

Garage
There's a red wire that should be connected to the ignition switch. It's tied into both the brake light and license plate light, and sounds like your problem.
Thorn likes this.

1986 VN750 27k miles
1999 EN500 32k
1983 GL650i in pieces. Someday it will ride again.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 02:47 PM

Garage
The tail fuse is unused with the stock harness. (if someone knows of a model that DOES use the tail fuse, please let me know)

One thing you can do to narrow down the problem is put the bike in park. The ignition switch uses different wiring in that position. If you get lights in park, the problem is the white wire at the ignition switch. If you don't get lights, then check the red wire from the ignition switch to the tail lights/license as calebj suggests.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowley

Is the red wire part of the harness and in a connector? The only reds I'm finding are at the coils... The other one(s) are tied up in connectors. Going to try the park selection noem
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 03:49 PM

Garage
red wire at ignition connector and red wire at tail light connector (the other two are blue and black/yellow) and red wire at license connector (the other wire is black/yellow). Should be red on both sides of each connector listed. The red wire at the coils is an unrelated wire from the killswitch.

Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowley

Red wire at tail light and license light are connected, going to take the tank off to check the (red colored?) connector by the front coil.

Headlight is out too, does that still lend to the red wire theory?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Crowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The tail fuse is unused with the stock harness. (if someone knows of a model that DOES use the tail fuse, please let me know)
I've blown the tail fuse by shorting out the taillight (taping all the bare connectors together like an idiot).
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 04:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowley1027 View Post
I've blown the tail fuse by shorting out the taillight (taping all the bare connectors together like an idiot).
IF you've done the blue-wire mod/headlight relay bypass, then the headlight would be on the tail fuse ... that might explain some of what's going on?

If you haven't done the blue wire mod, what color wire is in the very top-back corner of your junction box connector? (pin 17 in the diagrams)

The red wires to tail and license are indeed connected to each other.

Service Manual Download
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 04:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowley1027 View Post
Red wire at tail light and license light are connected, going to take the tank off to check the (red colored?) connector by the front coil.

Headlight is out too, does that still lend to the red wire theory?
I don't think there's a connector under the tank that would be involved? can you just check for continuity between the ignition switch and the tail light?

Service Manual Download
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Crowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I don't think there's a connector under the tank that would be involved? can you just check for continuity between the ignition switch and the tail light?
Ignition switch - where the key goes. The connector goes down to the cluster under the tank, around the front coil. Where would I check continuity? The tail light side is easy but where in the front part of the bike should I test? There are no exposed wires really...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement