Stator problem? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Stator problem?

Seem to be having a charging problem, I thought it may be weak battery, replaced with hp, mf battery and have had trouble twice starting it. Doesn't seem to be charging. How do you test the stator.And if anyone could be so kind and kind of give me a step by step process I know where the stator is just not specifics on testing it .Oh by the way it is an 86 750.Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Lenny, the easiest way to check the stator is to test the resistance across the leads. The stator is located behind the left side cover of your engine - if you find the three yellow wires that come from that side of the engine and hook into the wiring harness, those are the ones you'll check. First, make sure the bike is warmed up a little before you test it, 'cause conductivity, heat, etc., etc. make a difference. Take your multimeter and set it to resistance - test each lead by putting the pos multimeter wire on one lead, the negative on another. You should have .3-.5 ohms on each wire that you test. If those test out okay, then you might be looking at the regulator - that's easier to test dynamically (get the bike running - when you're up to about 3500 rpm, your battery (using the same multimeter - red to pos terminal, black to neg terminal) should show 13.5 - 14.5 volts.

C
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

tested stator and r/r

TEsted stator I got arounf .10 resistance. when I checked the r/r i ran the bike up to 3500 rpm and there was almost no change in the voltage. Any help?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Be sure to test from each yellow lead to engine case. This is spot where most stators fail, a short to the core which is tired to the engine case.

If you do not read infinite resistance from each yellow to the case, good bye stator. Do it cold and hot.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

when you say test each yellow to the case do you mean"positive on wire negative to case"? also should the bike be running when I test? Thanks for the help and patience
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Old Truck Junkie

No, test with bike off. You are looking to see if the wires have shorted to the ground. Set the meter on ohms. You are looking for no contact to ground. No reading means good.

negative on case and red on the wire is good.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks will have get on it tomorrow morning, thanks. I will post tomorrow with results.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Replaced the r/r, still having the charging problem. So I guess the next step would be the stator. Is there anything else it could possibly be? ANYONE?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 02:36 PM

Did you test the 3 yellow wires like you were instructed? If you didn't, you need to or you run the risk of frying the R/R if you haven't already.
There are 2 places to do this. You can do it from the RR connector disconnected from the R/R, or you can do it before the R/R at the bullet connectors. The 3 wires come from the stator and go up to the R/R. The bullet connectors can be found just above the swing arm before the wires go behind the left side cover. Pull these apart, (it doesn't matter what order they back together in) and check their resistance to ground. This is with the bike off. Anything other than infinite or OL indicates a short and either a failing or failed stator. Remember to check it cold, then start and warm up the bike, and check it again when the engine is hot. Heat can cause the insulation on the stator windings to crack open and cause the short. It's only noticeable when the stator gets hot due to expansion but it will prevent the battery from charging.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 02:38 PM

One other thing I would highly recommend. GET A MANUAL!! Kawasaki has one for the bike and it can be downloaded free at TOC Manufacturing's website though if you are on dialup, forget it as it's 119megs. Clymer's makes a good manual for the bike as well and it can be found for about $25 at various places on line.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement