Do you like to solder? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

View Poll Results: Do you like to solder?
Hell yeah, my blood is 80% lead, 20% tin 7 70.00%
Only when i see a bad end on a connector 2 20.00%
Only when i have no other choice, broke my switch 1 10.00%
No way, buy a new wiring harness 0 0%
Are you phreeking crazy? Wiring is dangerous! 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Do you like to solder?

Just a curiosity question about why so many are willing to tear apart their engines down to the very last bolt then slap that stupid wiring harness back on "as is".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 09:20 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Yup! Solder + heat shrink is the way to go.

I've used crimp splices before, but you have to use a REAL crimp tool, not the stupid $5 pos everyone tries to crimp with.

But yes, solder every time you can! However I do not mine weatherpack style connectors. it depends on current load, etc, if I eliminate connectors.
Gaz73 likes this.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

Last edited by thtanner; 04-19-2016 at 09:22 PM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
Yup! Solder + heat shrink is the way to go.

I've used crimp splices before, but you have to use a REAL crimp tool, not the stupid $5 pos everyone tries to crimp with.

But yes, solder every time you can! However I do not mine weatherpack style connectors. it depends on current load, etc, if I eliminate connectors.

The dash "box" i am working on ( in design right now ), will be using earphone jacks ( miniature stereo )

LED lamps would only draw approximately 90 ma worst case.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 01:52 AM

Garage
I've only got a terrible radioshack iron, but I seem to solder something once a week or so. I don't know how the general public survives by throwing everything they own away when a connection goes bad.

I'll never have to buy a vacuum, blender, etc because they're just lying around on the ground come trash day.

Trying to find a cheap weller thermostat-controlled iron for more detailed work so I don't bake the crap out of the wiring/components trying to get them to temp.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 03:15 AM
Tinkerer

Garage
I've got to agree with thtanner, I solder when needs must but I do tend to use weatherproof heat shrink covered end butt crimps when joining broken wires (the previous owner of my bike made a real mess of the wiring).

As already stated a proper crimping tool is essential

Man can not live by bread alone... he needs Duct tape & WD40
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 08:22 AM

Garage
I solder all the time, and have repaired a couple of spots on the factory wiring harness. Not sure what's 'stupid' about it though?

1986 VN750 27k miles
1999 EN500 32k
1983 GL650i in pieces. Someday it will ride again.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

spent many years of my younger life breathing soldering fumes... component level repair of various computer equipment. thru-hole, surface mount, high and low power components..

Also used to build my own battery packs back when I raced RC cars... yea, soldering sub-c nicads together with braid.. not the small stuff, but stuff large enough to safely handle 100+ amps of DC with very little loss. Still have the equipment I used for that work.. even tho I cant get parts for it anymore (company out of business).

and I agree with needing the right crimping tool for the occasions you need to crimp. if ya aint shelling out the bucks for the tool, your gonna have problems with the crimp (either now, or later)

oh, and leadfree solder suck arse
RoadHopper likes this.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 09:28 AM

Garage
Soldering is in my blood! As a trained Electronics Tech and Avionics Tech and all around tinkerer, I solder everything....there is no better mechanical and/or electrical connection.

Heat shrink tubing and liquid heat shrink are the way to finish any connections....a connection does not have to get "wet" to deteriorate. Moisture is the enemy of any electrical component.
As with any job, prep work (the proper resin), cleanliness (cleaning the connection after soldering it) and sealing the insulation seams are important to the longevity of any electrical job.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 10:16 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Do I like to solder? Well, not really...because that means something got broke.

I know how to solder. I have a real nice soldering gun with multiple tips...and I don't think I've used it for 14 years.

So asking if I like soldering is kinda like asking if I am happy when a wire breaks....and the answer to that is "no"

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj View Post
I solder all the time, and have repaired a couple of spots on the factory wiring harness. Not sure what's 'stupid' about it though?
True enough, i suppose "stupid" was a harsh adjective. Planned obsolescence has lined many a man's pockets over the years.

When people are designing kludges and mods to replace sections of the design, though, rather than pull it out and "rebuild it", just my opinion, but that is evidence of a faulty design in the first place. And the same can be applied to the march of technology over the past 30 years such that to replace a faulty design and fail to improve it using modern technology would be as ethically stupid as the engineers under strict factory budgets thirty years ago.

Were it me winding stators for the after-market crowd, instead of just hoping for a lack of "returns", i'd be hoping for a lack of repeat customers, but only because the products outlived the rest of the bike.

Is a high-quality ethos "stupid"? When so many other people are basing their plans and sometimes their lives on the road on the quality of a product, and when that is an unknown amount in the future... just me i guess, but i'd rather sleep at night than be a rich man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement