Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Bad Pick Up Coils

Tested the pick up coils since I was getting no spark. Test the 4 pin connector while spinning the motor with a 12v test light...I got no hot light out of any of the connector pins. Is it possible for both pick up coils to go bad....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	30434  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

with the coils disconnected, you may not be able to measure anything comming out of them. they are magnetic pickups.

I believe they send a fairly low voltage signal to the ignitor. and its pulsed, with a very short pulse duration.

I dont think they are biased by the igniter (putting a voltage on one side of them and monitering the other leg).

best way to check them would be with an oscilloscope if I am thinking properly on their operation.

you can use ohm (resistance) measurements to check them, and there is a spec in the manual as to what they should read
RoadHopper and Thorn like this.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 11:10 PM

Garage
Yeah, you're not going to light a 12v light from those leads. The resistance should be 355 - 535 ohms.
RoadHopper likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 11:16 PM

Garage
... and as they get old and cook, they become brittle and easy to break, so BE CAREFUL. Test the ohms before and after your job.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Well I spent most of the day looking for anything, I test the pick up coils (455 Ohms) after I did the pick coil MOD, then I tested the ignition coils (1.9 Ohms), ignition coils have power going to them (tested) but still zero spark going to the plugs. Im lost now, electrical gremlin! Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mark
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:04 AM

Found this fairly confusing diagram showing the IC Ignitor box wiring. Maybe someone can figure it out.

I was trying to find how the IC Ign. is powered from the junction box. Looks like maybe the red/white wire, but the diagram has me befuddled right now. Think that red/white just branches off the start circuit, discussed in the Two-Wire Mod sticky thread.

Or you may have a dead IC Ign. box.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:07 AM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Found this fairly confusing diagram showing the IC Ignitor box wiring. Maybe someone can figure it out.

I was trying to find how the IC Ign. is powered from the junction box. Looks like maybe the red/white wire, but the diagram has me befuddled right now. Think that red/white just branches off the start circuit, discussed in the Two-Wire Mod sticky thread.

Or you may have a dead IC Ign. box.

That'd be my guess, but i'ma too much a n00b to say so. Nice diagram... i'll give it a study.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:21 AM

Garage
Okay, pretty straight forward and agrees with the other wiring stuff that is more or less accepted around here... ( see Thorn's master copy of the colors that go everywhere . . . )

The heart is basically the flywheel... and the pickups sense a weak field spike which is fed to the IC Ignitor. The IC stands for "Integrated Circuit" which in essence means it's not going to get fixed, and they ain't gunna tell ya what's in it...

... but... what is in it is two things, and possible both are the same ( which they probably are since it's cheaper to design than kludge ). There will be an amplifier/signal shaping circuit inside, basically a transistor and it only needs one, but they probably have four to provide various things like stability, regulation, and other kewlies wave shaping things that keep the circuit "safe". So... in essence, you can think of the IC as just yet another relay, but it's just special because the weak little guitar pickups down there by the wheel, get amplified just the same as an electrical guitar but... with a fuzz-box, ( seriously ) because they probably want a square wave hitting those coils ( just a guess ). The square wave has the hysteresis characteristics to give that coil a "time shaped charge" ( so you get good fire, fast, exactly when they want it, no sooner, no later then POOF, off in a flash. The coils are fed by the battery but only after it goes through the stop switch and the ignition switch ( the key ). In essence, the key and the kill switch do exactly the same thing, in opposite tandem. The JB doesn't do jack squat as far as the coils go.

Been up awhile, about ready to crash, so... obviously i stand corrected in advance. Hope this helps.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

RoadHopper,
Thanks for the info, I will check the ignition out today, is there a way to test it and you said theres a kill switch as well?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:17 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18475
Try reading this.I am looking at more old posts will post more linky thingies later
RoadHopper likes this.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog