Unresponsive Starter Button? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Unresponsive Starter Button?

I went out to my 05 750 last week to a nasty surprise. The starter button was completely unresponsive to anything and the bike wouldn't turn over at all. I tried all the normal stuff. Made sure the bike was in neutral, held in the brake and clutch (just in case), tried with the kickstand up and down. Nothing.

I then started tinkering on it. The only thing that got it to turn over briefly was tapping on the throttle housing. It worked for a few seconds and then went back to unresponsive. I figured that wiring that led up to the housing was bad or must've corroded or something so I ordered a new right throttle assembly and pigtail.

In the meantime, I cut apart the pigtail of my old throttle assembly and started jumping the wires to simulate the starting connections. I could touch the black/red wire to one of the black wires and it would turn over just fine, so I figure it must be localized to this pigtail harness. Unless I'm jumping the wrong wires...

Fast forward to today, I get the new throttle assembly. Plug it in and press the start button while it's in neutral... AND NOTHING! I don't quite understand what else could be wrong. If I can jump the wires from an old harness to get it turn over but a fresh, brand-new-lookin harness won't do the trick, what else could it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

look up the 2 wire mod.. it may be the solution to your problem.. however, be advised, it does bypass the clutch and neutral safety switches (you can start it with it in gear and clutch released).

the actual problem that the mod fixes is flakey relay's in the junction box. but check your starter solenoid first..

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
look up the 2 wire mod.. it may be the solution to your problem.. however, be advised, it does bypass the clutch and neutral safety switches (you can start it with it in gear and clutch released).

the actual problem that the mod fixes is flakey relay's in the junction box. but check your starter solenoid first..
I'll give it a look. Thank you?

I don't think I'd ever cared to check but would having the kill switches on (kickstand, neutral, brake, whatever) prevent it from turning over or from starting?

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman4839 View Post
I'll give it a look. Thank you?

I don't think I'd ever cared to check but would having the kill switches on (kickstand, neutral, brake, whatever) prevent it from turning over or from starting?
Kill switch in 'stop' will keep it from turning over.

Will start in neutral with kickstand down, but will stall if you put it in gear and then begin to let the clutch out.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

exactly, does NOT disable kill switch or side stand switch (side stand switch only in play if stand is down, trans not in neutral, and you start to let out clutch)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

So I tried to 2 wire mod. Took out the yellow/red and black/red from the 10-pin and connected them to each other. Starter button still unresponsive.

Something odd I noticed was when I run 12v to the starter solenoid when the ignition is on, it clicks on, but the starter doesn't turn over. I thought that was odd. However, the starter still turns over when the red/black is hooked to the black on the throttle pigtail. WHAT IS THIS THING'S DEAL
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:41 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman4839 View Post
So I tried to 2 wire mod. Took out the yellow/red and black/red from the 10-pin and connected them to each other. Starter button still unresponsive.

Something odd I noticed was when I run 12v to the starter solenoid when the ignition is on, it clicks on, but the starter doesn't turn over. I thought that was odd. However, the starter still turns over when the red/black is hooked to the black on the throttle pigtail. WHAT IS THIS THING'S DEAL
That threw me off when I first read it, and why I didn't post the two-wire mod right away. Gonna have to think about this a bit.

I'm thinking there's a chance the kill switch is involved... However, it should turn over when you jump the starter solenoid. Where did you apply the 12v? Directly onto the solenoid terminal?

Is there no click anywhere when you hit the start button? Relay in the JB should at least click, and starter solenoid should click either by the button or with a jumper wire.

Could be dealing with overlapping problems. Start button problem of some sort, then possibly an intermittent failure of the starter solenoid or the starter.

Jumping the wires at the button is throwing me a curve. Where exactly are you putting the black/red and black wires together? At the button, at the plug?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

Last edited by Spockster; 03-26-2016 at 06:44 PM.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:54 PM

Is the neutral switch plugged in?

2003-21k mi

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
That threw me off when I first read it, and why I didn't post the two-wire mod right away. Gonna have to think about this a bit.

I'm thinking there's a chance the kill switch is involved... However, it should turn over when you jump the starter solenoid. Where did you apply the 12v? Directly onto the solenoid terminal?

Is there no click anywhere when you hit the start button? Relay in the JB should at least click, and starter solenoid should click either by the button or with a jumper wire.

Could be dealing with overlapping problems. Start button problem of some sort, then possibly an intermittent failure of the starter solenoid or the starter.

Jumping the wires at the button is throwing me a curve. Where exactly are you putting the black/red and black wires together? At the button, at the plug?
So I applied the 12v directly to the solenoid terminals here.

I can hear the solenoid click when I give it 12v directly jumping it from the battery but the starter does nothing. Using the start button gives no solenoid or relay clicks.

As for the wires, I cut up the old broken throttle assembly and am using the pigtail that plugs into the main harness here. I have the cut up pigtail in my hand and the new throttle assembly plugged in in the picture.

I don't remember which black it was but connecting that red/black to one of those blacks gets it to turn over.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Is the neutral switch plugged in?
where is the neutral switch located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement