just put motor back in and no start - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to m9e8n7k6e5
Unhappy just put motor back in and no start

I have just completed an arduous three months worth of engine rebuilding and now my bike won't start. To the best of my knowledge all electrical connections have been made correctly. The battery is good and fully charged! Here is what happens, I put the bike in neutral put the switch on run, push start...... and all I get is one single click from the starter relay followed by some whining noise. During this noise my tach goes crazy !!!! The starter won't even try to kick over

if anyone known what may be wrong PLEASE HELP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Gosh, just reading your post gives me PTSD symptoms.

Ok, if you have the click, your starter relay is working, but since it's not even trying to start, sounds like an electrical issue (esp. with your tach going nuts). A couple of things to check that are very likely culprits include:
1. Electrical connections in the ignition circuit - make sure to double-check all ground wires, especially.
2. The order of the washers on your starter motor lead - from the case, it should be insulated washer, copper washer, positive lead from the relay, regular ol' washer, and then the nut. Make sure the metal on the lead isn't touching any part of the case or you've grounded it out and all power is going to your...well, frame.
3. Test all of your electrical components - do you have turn signals? Brake light works? How about your fuel gauge? Gauge lights? Headlight? etc. Since the "foot bone's connected to the leg bone" (electrically speaking), you may find that some other electrical component isn't working.
4. Do you know your starter works? Did you test it off the bike? If not, you can drain the oil, pull the starter motor, and bench test it to make sure it's good.
5. Battery voltage is good? Got enough juice to kick the starter motor over? If you're not sure, take it to Pep Boys or someplace similar and have them check it.

Start there and let us know what your results are. Troubleshooting after a rebuild is pure-T Heck...so go slowly, methodically, and keep notes of everything you've done so that you can have a good record of steps taken.

C
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 07:00 AM

When you push the starter button, just for grins, push with direct pressure in different spots on the button and see what happens.

My bike will not start or even try, if the button is pushed towards it's left edge.
Pushed in direct center, sometimes it starts, sometimes it just makes funny noises. Pushed at the left edge of the button, it starts great, and every time.

And check all that stuff Cindy suggested too.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
When you push the starter button, just for grins, push with direct pressure in different spots on the button and see what happens.

My bike will not start or even try, if the button is pushed towards it's left edge.
Pushed in direct center, sometimes it starts, sometimes it just makes funny noises. Pushed at the left edge of the button, it starts great, and every time.
Doug, sounds like you need to dive into the starter button and clean it out. Bet you've got some build-up in there that's messing up the contact. Just be careful if you try to pull the spring out - it's, um, springy and has a nasty habit of flying away for the nether regions of your garage.

C
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

I have all other electrical function I think... turn signals, lights gauges ext...
I very well may have a problem in the order of the washers.... it seems when I put it back together I only remember having 2 washes 1 that looked like silicone (computer chip material) and the small steel one with the 4 protrusions cooing off of it ? What else am I supposed to have

I was maticulous in bagging and taging all internals, but not so much on stuff that come off the outside of the motor
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9e8n7k6e5 View Post
I have all other electrical function I think... turn signals, lights gauges ext...
I very well may have a problem in the order of the washers.... it seems when I put it back together I only remember having 2 washes 1 that looked like silicone (computer chip material) and the small steel one with the 4 protrusions cooing off of it ? What else am I supposed to have

I was maticulous in bagging and taging all internals, but not so much on stuff that come off the outside of the motor
You need the copper washer - the "silicone" one is probably your insulated one (or proxy) and the steel one is ok. But the copper is a must. I don't know if it's possible to buy those at your local auto parts store - I may have a spare in the garage, though, so shoot me a pm and let me know how to get it to you.

C

P.S. Just 'cause you were meticulous in bagging doesn't mean PO was meticulous in maintaining. When I pulled apart my old project bike, I had so many weird, extra parts... it was crazy. Took me a long time to figure out what was required and what was a work-around by PO.

C
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

it's alive!!!!!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

Cindy saves the day AGAIN!!!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCruzin View Post
Cindy saves the day AGAIN!!!
lol I don't think that was me. What'd ya do to revive it??

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement