Non Starter - Pulsing Neutral Light - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Non Starter - Pulsing Neutral Light

Hi All,

Bought my de-goated 86 vn750 for 2k, it had sat under cover for 4 yrs and I have no idea as to when it was last serviced but all you needed to do was pull on the choke and hit the button and away it went. So on to works carried out to bring it back to real life.

First cab off the rank was to change the oil, the oil screen and filter, dismantled the glass fuel filters and cleaned them (yaye for that saving) and the fuel tap, replaced the filters in the ears (they didn't exist) and wander around making sure all wiring connections were tight and clean.

My problem now is when I hit the button all you get is an attempt to fire i.e. a popping sound from somewhere not the exhaust - I'm guessing the ears as it is a rather muffled popping and I was watching the neutral light and it pulses from bright to extremely dull as the engine is cranking.

The battery in it is a wet cell Yuasa so after reading the forums I grabbed (read knicked) my brothers MF and tried that as a test but it made no difference.

Any suggestions as I can see plenty of spark and fuel and the electrics APPEAR ok but in saying that I got no idea what I'm doing even with a bloody manual - I knew I shoulda bought another shovel - I can make them run

Thought I might as well attach before and after shots, ignore the fact the after shot shows no mufflers, it's got a set of tapered turbos off a heritage softail to go on - just waiting on my exhaust builder to finish the rear head pipe

TIA (Thanks In Advance)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vulcan.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	974   Click image for larger version

Name:	vulcan2.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	975  

Last edited by compadres_carl; 08-09-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: crap spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Non Starter - Pulsing Neutral Light - part prob located?

I think I've found the popping sound, I pulled the tank off and cranked it over - the popping sound is air being forced out of the vacuum hose of the left carby - the one that goes to the fuel tap??
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

That hose should be sucking air in, not blowing air out. Was there anything else you changed when you serviced the bike? If it ran before, it should run now unless something changed other than adding air filters.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 12:57 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I would look at the ground wire, I have seen them crack and not make a good connection.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Not A Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
That hose should be sucking air in, not blowing air out. Was there anything else you changed when you serviced the bike? If it ran before, it should run now unless something changed other than adding air filters.
Hi,

Logic says to me it should be sucking air in but it's blowing it out *shrug* - as for changing anything else, no, just plugs, filters, oil, cleaned and tightened cable/wiring connections etc - the usual stuff oh and I did put the hose back on that goes from the t-piece between the carbs and the right ear, making sure it isn't bottoming out in the ear.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

It's Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner View Post
I would look at the ground wire, I have seen them crack and not make a good connection.
I did a cable/wiring check when I gave it a service. I used to own a shovel (s'why I'm broke today ) so regular tightening of nuts, bolts and connections becomes second nature

We did just get it to fire and if you want cheap mufflers that sound great - grab a pair of HD tapered turbos a lovely note 'til the bike stops AGAIN front cyl dropped then it just stopped - got it goin again but now it only likes the front cyl with the rear refusing to play. I've had enough for one day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement