1987 VN750 turn signal issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

1987 VN750 turn signal issues

Hi all:

Have an '87 750. Turn signals were working fine at one point, but then I decided to switch to flush mount turn signals and now i'm having some issues.

Bought new incandescent blinkers (3-wire for the front, 2-wire for the back), should work fine. Pretty much the same blinkers except flushmount. Unplugged all the turn signals, can't get the new ones to work.

The '87 750's have integrated running lights and blinkers. The running lights turn on, but they don't blink. I kind of suspect a flasher relay problem, but I don't even know how to test that. But I played around with the connections to see if I could figure anything out.

So, I have a 3-connector flasher relay. It has a b/y (black/yellow) wire going to it (ground), and an orange wire, and an o/g (orange/green) wire going to it.

When I unplug the flasher relay, I'm left with a connector coming out of the wiring harness with those 3 wires on itób/y, o, o/g. I am not entirely sure how flasher relays work, and my multimeter literally just crapped out yesterday (buying a new one today), but I still wanted to see which wires had power and when so I figured I could take one of my rear turn signals, which are 2-wire, and use it like a test light.

So I grounded the ground terminal of the turn signal on the b/y wire on the flasher relay connector. Then, when I plug the hot terminal of the turn signal into the o/g wire on the connector, the turn signal lights up. But then when I plug the hot terminal into the orange wire on the connector, the light doesn't light up. Doesn't matter what position the turn signal or hazard switches are in, it doesn't light up. So, somewhere along the line, I don't have any power whatsoever going to my orange wire.

Is this normal? Which wires at the relay are supposed to have power (orange and o/g? or just o/g?). I also tried jumping the o/g wire to the orange wire to see if I could get the turn signals to light up (although they wouldn't blink with the relay not connected), and it seems that even when I jump those two connections i don't get my turn signals to light.

Any help would be very appreciated.
thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 02:37 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Try plugging in the old ones at the stock location to confirm there is nothing wrong with the electrical system. Then temporarily mount the new ones the same way.if they work in the stock location you may have a grounding issue. If I remember correct the blinkers ground through the assembly to the forks on the front and the backrest mount on the rear,but I might be thinking of another bike.I've played with a few too many in the past few years and lately the gray stuff between my ears has been acting more like mud than a brain so someone with more knowledge should probably chime in.I know I'm probably not old enough to suffer from CRS but I can't remember how old I am (just know I'm not ).

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 02:41 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Then again incandescent bulbs might need a new blinker relay if they don't draw as much current as the stock bulbs do.the system might be acting like it has a dead bulb

sportster seat

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Shoot. Yes, I should have mentioned that. I tried the old ones and they also don't work. So it's an issue with the electrical system somewhere.

Definitely should have put that in my original post. Thanks for the reply!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 02:46 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Try an EP34 Blinker relay

sportster seat

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. They had that relay at autoZone. Tried it and still having the same issues...
I'm still unsure of whether or not I'm supposed to have power at the orange wire at the flasher. Is this normal or is there something else going on?
Thanks!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 05:21 PM

Garage
Just information for you...

I have an 87 too. It's a California model ( emissions, etc ). Front turn signal lamps have black/yellow, a blue, and a gray on mine.

Also, tell me where you want a voltage reading and if i get time tonight i will measure them for you. I only have an El Cheapo brand MM though, and it's analog.

One other thing... on my bike, the right turn signal goes fast, and the left goes slow. But i only have one hooked up on the left while waiting for a replacement to arrive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16 - 1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	27809  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Ah, thank you! yeah, mine has the grey/blue/black-yellow at the actual signal as well.

What would be really helpful would be if you would't mind taking a reading at the flasher. On mine, it's really easy to get to. Just pop the seat off, and right behind the battery (towards the rear wheel) should be a little black box just kind of hanging off the back of the battery cage. There will be a 3-wire connector going to it, which should just pull out.

The connector should have b/y, orange, and o/g wires going to it. Mine has power going between the b/y and o/g (b/y is the ground). I wonder if you have power between the b/y and the orange? It might only get power by turning the turn signal switch or the hazards on, but maybe there's power all the time. Or maybe there's no power, ever.

If this isn't too much trouble, it would be very appreciated!

Thanks!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:06 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Check your fuses? Can't remember if it is on the accessories fuse or not.been over a year since I've played with my vulcan

sportster seat

Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 02-24-2016 at 07:12 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

hi, this may be a silly question. I know that there's a fuse box under the left side cover, the one with the main fuse. But is there another fuse box somewhere? an accessory fuse box? I've seen some bikes that have two....

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement