Bike shutdown at 70mph - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Angry Bike shutdown at 70mph

Driving down the expressway at 70 mph and the bike first stuttered and then shutdown. It let out a big backfire. I tried pop starting it as I coasted to a stop and it would start but then shut right down. Bike would only click when I went to restart. I just installed a new stator and RR. Stator ohms out at .6ohms so that appears to be OK. Any ideas...possibly a short??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Oh and on more thing, I ohmed out the positive wire going from the starter relay to the battery and there is continuity to ground. I hooked up the positive cable then attempted the negative and got a spark. Left alone for now until I know where Im headed with this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 PM
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!

I know you probably already checked this and don't get mad at me but did you make sure your fuel is flowing properly? Know it sounds dumb and no offense intended but I know someone who actually bought a new car because the old one wouldn't start. Turns out the fuel gauge was broken and showed 1/2 tank left when there wasn't any at all. They never thought to check fuel at the carbs.

'89 Vulcan 750

VROC# 30232

HID Headlamp Conversion
V&H Cruzers (great sound)
Kaw V-Force Windshield
Kaw Rear Luggage Rack
Kaw Engine Guard
VN750.COM Grill Cover
W&M Black Magic Saddlebags
Diehard M/F Battery
R/R Replaced/Relocated
Stator Replaced
Voltmeter Installed
Splines Lubed
Metzler 880 Marathons
Front - 110/90-19
Rear - 170/80-15
Carbs Balanced
Carb Mix Adjusted
Fuel Tank Derusted/Lined/Sealed
NGK Iridium Plugs

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsawyer View Post
I know you probably already checked this and don't get mad at me but did you make sure your fuel is flowing properly? Know it sounds dumb and no offense intended but I know someone who actually bought a new car because the old one wouldn't start. Turns out the fuel gauge was broken and showed 1/2 tank left when there wasn't any at all. They never thought to check fuel at the carbs.
I c this every day... a "grunt" will walk up to me and say...Hey my truck won't start.I think its the engine kill solenoid sticking...I go out there and spend 30 seconds trouble shooting (open the fuel tank) and tell them to get some fuel and call me afterwords to help bleed the system... we came up with an acronym for these kind of peeps...we call em DAO's (Dumb A$$ Operators)... we have been calling the grunts this for 2 years now, and they think its a compliment...poor DAO's...lol...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan77 View Post
Driving down the expressway at 70 mph and the bike first stuttered and then shutdown. It let out a big backfire. I tried pop starting it as I coasted to a stop and it would start but then shut right down. Bike would only click when I went to restart. I just installed a new stator and RR. Stator ohms out at .6ohms so that appears to be OK. Any ideas...possibly a short??
This sounds like an ignition problem...check the ignition switch...I bet it either has a broken wire, or there is a short in the switch.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

It's been a while but I have yet to figure out my problem. I charged the battery and the bike started OK. My stator ohms out at .6 ohms and my battery is seeing 13.8 - 14.0 VDC with the headlight unplugged and 12.8 - 13.0 with it plugged in. Is this normal?? Again this is a new stator, R/R and MF battery. I am having the headlight issue and will swap terminals in the JB plug. Any other ideas? I want to ride but I don't want to die on the side of the road again. And I would take it to the shop but there is nothing for them to see right now. It's running????????????????????????????????
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Your battery should be reading 13.5 - 14.5 V once you rev up above 2500 rpm. If you have a new stator and r/r, that's probably where your reading are and that's likely not the culprit anyway.

Particularly in light of the backfire, it's possible you dumped some crud out of the petcock that caused a fuel flow problem. Did you clean the carbs when you had the engine out? Use any Seafoam or other cleaning agent?

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement