Vulcan zero power - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Vulcan zero power

Well guys...I'm at a loss. The bike has always had intermittent starting problems where it would sometimes crank when the start button was pushed and sometimes it would not. The tail light would always light up though. Now I do not have any power to the start button, neither do I have power to the tail light, or anywhere else for that matter. All the fuses are fine. The battery is fully charged. The clutch safety switch is in. What I noticed is a very faint click (and I mean just barely audible) emanating from what I could deduce as either the junction box or the CDI box. This weekend I will clean all the contacts/use dielectric grease on all the connectors but I doubt that's the issue. I have not tried jumping the starter yet but I believe it would crank like that. I have only just learned how to use a multi meter to test resistance/voltage. Where should I start? What values should I be looking for? My only hypotheses so far are a bad junction box, a bad CDI, but also maybe a possible short in the starter button as the starting issue has always been present. Really would appreciate everyone's thoughts. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

1st thing to look at is the ignition switch (the actual switch, not the key cylinder). the switch lives under the key cylinder, and is black in color, circular, a little smaller than a hockey puck. search the forums here for instructions on how to disassemble and clean it.

after that, look up the 2 wire mod.. it bypasses the clutch switch and neutral switch to improve functioning of many things, including intermittant cranking that your describing. Again, this bypasses 2 safety switches, which will allow the bike to be cranked in gear, with the clutch release (which will cause the bike to jump forward). my bike had intermittant crank issue just like yours, and performing that mod cured it.. totally... for good.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you sir, you have given me hope! I will do both as soon as I wake up tomorrow since I do not get home from school till 11:30 tonight. If the ignition switch checks out like I'm hoping/I do the two-wire mod, I am curious to see if the headlight on my bike will turn on or not since I have a 1995, and read on the two-wire sticky that the gentlemen with 94/95 models had issues with their headlight.

Last edited by Nahian; 02-11-2016 at 07:54 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:02 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Make sure your ground is good. These have been known to loosen or break.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:09 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I'd have that battery load tested even if it is showing fully charged and absolutely check your Ground as knife said. It's probably something simple hiding from you. If that doesn't cure it the ignition switch is a good place to look.

Either of these things could cause your symptoms. You've gotten good advice so far. Go for the easy things first.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to get the battery load tested today. I will check all the grounds once again. I also got to the key switch but cant take out the last few tabs because I am scared I will break them off. Below are the pictures of my key switch. The red arrows/circle are the tabs I cannot get to pop free. I agree that it is probably something very small that's preventing me from enjoying my bike. I am determined not to give up though! Thanks for all the help guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arrow pic vulcan.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	27489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2011.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	27497  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

to make life easier, follow that wiring harness and disconnect it from the connector (under left side neck cover if I am remembering correctly). then you can take the whole thing in the house or garage or whatever, and not have to worry about loosing the small springs and balls that are in it. (well, not as much worry anyway).

it may also make getting them stubborn tabs easier to release, since you have more control, motion, accessability, ect. when its removed.

they will come un-done, just be patient with them. I think I used a small razor knife to slip under one end of the clip and gently pry them open

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 11:34 AM

Do you get dash lights when the key is turned on? If those light, key sw. is working at that moment, at least. Should also get the tailight with key on.

The first post made me think you need the Two-Wire Mod.

You could go to the yellow/red on the starter solenoid (under right sidecover), remove the yellow/red wire from the solenoid and apply 12v to that solenoid terminal to see if the starter can turn and to test the solenoid. Jumping the larger terminals only tests the starter and connection to the battery.

Have you checked the main fuse? (not sure if you're getting lights)

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Hey sprockster, I'm pretty sure even if I had the dash still on, I would not be getting any lights. I forgot to mention to everyone, this whole zero power thing happened while installing an LED tail light. Everything was fine and everything with the tail light hooked up (i just twisted the wires together/bike started) then after when I properly soldered the wires...tragedy struck and there was no power. I thought it had to be a fuse but after inspection all the fuses were alright, and I even swapped them with new ones. Still nothing. I really hope I didn't fry anything. The bike has been in project mode for too long. I was literally at the point of just welding new seat mounts/tabs and a speedo on it when this happened. Here was the bike in running condition minus air filters/miscellaneous bolts which I put all back together (this was like 1-2 years ago.) No dash, just a head light, tail light, it's probably illegal without signals but again this wasn't on the road yet.

Edit** Thanks for the tip michiganteddybear, I'll try that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10418221_661167430634501_5190336860295089520_n.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	27505  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 02:57 PM

Errr. .. welding?

Not sure if it matters, but an old welder I knew always disconnected the battery when he welded on a vehicle. I took my speedo bracket off to weld it.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement