Orange spark??? gas soaked plugs, HELP PLEASE - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Angry Orange spark??? gas soaked plugs, HELP PLEASE

Hello I have a 1993 VN750, i purchased the bike with some electrical issues. I have been riding it for a while now and i have been having problems with the front cylinder cutting out. I would be driving down the road and the front cylinder would just cut out. the front plugs were getting black soot carbon on them. i would change the pluggs but it would still bo the same thing. now the other day my bike completely died on me front and rear cylinder i had to keep it at 6,000 rpm to dog it home. I took out all plugs and there soaked in gas and the bike is blowing out blue smoke and wants to die. I checked the spark and ALL plugs are now getting orange spark. I purshased a CDI Igniter and found out that wasn't the issue. can someone please help me !!!!! Are both of my coils bad?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 01:51 PM

I suspect that you have more than 1 issue at hand.

A weak orange spark indicates bad coils or bad connections to the coils. I'd check EVERY connection form the battery to the ignition to the coils, to make sure all are OK.

A weak spark can lead to fouled plugs, however, I'd bet that you have a carb issue too. Some fresh New gas and some Seafoam may clear it up, otherwise, I'd suggest a good carb cleaning.

85 VN750 basketcase ( yes its a true 750, and no smog controls, its good to be Canadian)
It will have
a rebuilt 96 top end, rebuilt 85 bottom end
degoated, Eared
stripped, lowered, raked, bobbed,
reed valve boxes shaved
ported and polished
balanced
right side dump exhaust
heads and cylinders shaved for compression
looking for smoothbore sidedraft carbs
possibly fat bob tanks
modified vn800 or sportster drag pipes or I'll just make some

Chopperfix
Duck's Garage
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

I had the carbs redone about 2 months ago, and have but about 1000 miles on the bike with this issue happening .

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 02:50 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I agree, sounds like you are having carb issues, The floats may be sticking.
Did you check voltage at the batt running to make sure you have good power?
A weak charging system will cause a week spark.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlamb82 View Post
I had the carbs redone about 2 months ago, and have but about 1000 miles on the bike with this issue happening .
Can you elaborate on this? Done at a shop or by a friend? "Done" meaning what exactly? Did you get to see any of the stuff while they were apart, if they were apart?

I agree with Duck and Spinner; sounds like a fuel issue, probably excessive fuel issue, as well as electrical.

FWIW, my carbs were "done" by somebody just before I bought my bike. Day I brought it home the carbs leaked out all the gas from the tank, all over the outside, and inside the engine. Took 'em out myself and took 'em apart, and besides a very bad job of cleaning them, I found large chucks of what looked like red shop rags, clogging both float needles, holding them open.

So having them "done" is sort of a relative term, IMO.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!

I'll pile on with everyone above.

1st - Clean ALL (even if they "look" good) connections and check voltage.

2nd - Pull the carbs, CLEAN thoroughly (you may find something wrong inside per Doug)

3rd - The blue smoke is bothersome and usually means oil is burning somewhere (think oil/gas mix for outboard boat engines) so you might have some cylinder ring wear. A compression test should tell you (low compression=rings worn)

Bottom line: Start with the free stuff (clean, clean, clean) before spending money on parts or shop labor. Between The Verses and people on this Forum, you should be able to do pretty much everything yourself.

Good luck!

'89 Vulcan 750

VROC# 30232

HID Headlamp Conversion
V&H Cruzers (great sound)
Kaw V-Force Windshield
Kaw Rear Luggage Rack
Kaw Engine Guard
VN750.COM Grill Cover
W&M Black Magic Saddlebags
Diehard M/F Battery
R/R Replaced/Relocated
Stator Replaced
Voltmeter Installed
Splines Lubed
Metzler 880 Marathons
Front - 110/90-19
Rear - 170/80-15
Carbs Balanced
Carb Mix Adjusted
Fuel Tank Derusted/Lined/Sealed
NGK Iridium Plugs
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The orange spark sounds weak, meaning you will not completely burn fuel, which may send you in a goose chase on a rich condition. Weak spark is the first issue I would work on. Like someone above said, check voltages at the coils with key on, engine not running. Should be around 12 volts or just over 12. If it's lower, check your coil wires and connections. Clean connections and use dielectric grease in them to protect them. A little corrosion will go a long way in losing precious voltage at the coils. If your coil voltage is good, check your plug wires or replace them. Even check to make sure you are running the right plugs. If your coil voltage is low, and the wiring is good, you might try the coil relay mod in my signature. It fires the coil right off new wire connected directly to the battery. Make sure you have a good MF battery too. Seafoam in the tank is always a good idea about once a month, to help prevent carb issues, but I feel like your carbs might not be the culprit since you have weak spark. Good luck!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement