battery dead - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

battery dead

I seem to have an intermittent battery problem. The battery went dead a couple of weeks ago, I figured something got wet because I forgot to put the cover on during a heavy downfall. I hooked it up to my trickle charger and drove a few times since. I drove it yesterday after it sat for about 4 days and it started fine. This morning I went to start it and it cranked but no start, then nothing. Any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:01 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

First suggestion would be to get the battery load tested. Next would be a question....Is it a maintenance free battery??

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Love My Baby

Hey Lenny. Glad you posted here. Do yourself a favor and get a new maintenance free battery from Sears or from one of the reputable online battery stores. You can do a search here on this site and find the recommended batteries. But I would suggest you stick with Yuasa if you can afford it or DieHard if there's a Sears nearby. DEFINITELY MAINTENANCE FREE.

Now, if you already have a MF battery and it's not even close to two years old yet, you might be able to save it and it might still last a year or two. Listen to Hyperbuzzin and get it load tested. Autozone won't load test motorcycle batteries in my area because their load testers can blow up a small battery. Sears might.

Good luck. I went through this too, and I replaced my bat with another wet cell and it only lasted 9 months. Then I got a Sears MF bat and it has made a world of difference.

Let us know how you do...

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. One more queation crosses my mind. Grnated this is something I would do to test the generator on a car but I figured the principle is the same. The battery I believe is th initial charge to start the bike then it runs on the generator correct? If that is the case once the bike is running I should be able to disconnect the battery and the bike would still run.Any one have any thoughts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyb3us View Post
The battery I believe is th initial charge to start the bike then it runs on the generator correct? If that is the case once the bike is running I should be able to disconnect the battery and the bike would still run.Any one have any thoughts.
No, I believe the battery needs to be connected, and have a good charge going to it, for the bike to run.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
the way the electrical system is wired...the bike may or may not stay runing. The R/R requires a signal voltage from the battery. if you disconnect the battery, the referance signal is gone, and it will either overcharge or it won't charge at all...either case...not good.

Best way to test to see if the charging system is to take voltage readings off of the battery at Idel, 2000 rpm, 4000 rpm, and 5-6000 rpm. then match these number to the clymers manual. or post your resaults here and we can give more advice on what to check now....but first I would replace that battery.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 AM
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!

Highly recommend the M/F battery suggested by those above. Just replaced mine this weekend with a Diehard (would bet it's secretly made for Sears by Yuasa) after getting stuck at the store with the infamous "hot - won't start" problem and having to jump start in a parking lot full of people.

Hard to impress the ladies while you sit swearing under your breath at your lifeless machine. They don't believe the "but it's never happened before" excuse either!

World of difference in KNOWING that it'll start strongly after sitting for a few minutes instead of it being a coin flip.

'89 Vulcan 750

VROC# 30232

HID Headlamp Conversion
V&H Cruzers (great sound)
Kaw V-Force Windshield
Kaw Rear Luggage Rack
Kaw Engine Guard
VN750.COM Grill Cover
W&M Black Magic Saddlebags
Diehard M/F Battery
R/R Replaced/Relocated
Stator Replaced