yet another stator question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

yet another stator question

Well, it's been a long time since my last post, mostly because the bike has been running well. However, I now have to replace the stator, as it is not charging, and per the clymer's testing method, has a short. Does anyone know of an aftermarket stator or one from another bike that will provide more amps and fit? If not, has anyone had their stator rebuilt to provide more amperage? I have had this done with automotive alternators, but never a bike stator. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I know there's a couple aftermarket units, but I don't know if they're "improved" over stock. Sorry. I'm sure somebody else will know....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 01:27 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Building one to have more amps was attempted by Hizzo, but he's never gotten back with results after he moved?? (search "Frankenstator" for his post)
Many here have been pleased with a Rick's stator (myself included) they go for $140 or so and are said to be better than OEM. Not sure of the addy, but search the forum for "Rick's stator" and it should come up.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 01:37 PM

I replaced mine with the Rick's as well, very happy with it so far; I had read that it put out more than the OEM, but I have no specifics.

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 PM

I bought the Electrosport which also claims to put out more current that the OEM. It's about $100. I have had it for about 2 months now and so far, no probs.
If your stator is out, it would be a good idea to test your R/R as well. Once the stator goes, it usually takes the R/R with it. You may be fortunate, but if not, a bad R/R can take the stator out too.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
I bought the Electrosport which also claims to put out more current that the OEM. It's about $100. I have had it for about 2 months now and so far, no probs.
If your stator is out, it would be a good idea to test your R/R as well. Once the stator goes, it usually takes the R/R with it. You may be fortunate, but if not, a bad R/R can take the stator out too.
thanks. I already bought a new r/r, just waiting until I replace the stator to put it on. I found the electrosport staor also but was nervous about the quality because of low price. thanks to everyone for your input.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 10:48 AM

I have recently done what you are about to do. I bought the Electrosport stator and have found it to be rather good quality. In your efforts to remove the engine (the only way to get the generator cover off) I suggest using hydraulic floor jack. I used a scissor jack and had some issues with stability of the engine while I was performing surgury. I also suggest not ordering gaskets. I have used Black RTV to replace the gaskets. It's cheaper than the gaskets, you won't have to wait for them to arrive, and it works.
Another thing you might consider doing is an ear shave. This entails removing the breather box and putting the air filters directly in line with the carbs. This is for astethics reasons more than anything, but if you have to dismount the engine again in the future you won't have to fight the breather box. Just a thought.
Happy stator removal.

I'm the pedifamilious! BONAFIDE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement