I recently bought a 1990 vn750 with 16000 miles. This bike is beautiful, looks well cared for, and used to be a shriners parade bike. I bought the bike before finding this sight and didn't look close enough to the battery area.
When I got it home, i decided to do basic maint., oil change etc. While waiting for the weekend, I went for several short rides around the neighborhood. On 2 occasions, the starter dragged. I took the seat off, saw the wet battery and noticed that battery acid had been spilling all over the battery box. How could anyone that took such good care of the outside of this bike neglect this important componant.
Anyway, I bought a MF battery fully charged, installed it, started the bike and checked the charging voltage, approximately 13.5 volts with no increase in voltage with increase in RPMs. i did see a 14.5 volt spike at 2000 RPMs. I tested the RR and it appears to be open on the G lead, according to the chart in Clymers. Haynes says you can't test a RR with a multimeter. Tomorrow I will be testing the stator and will post the results here.
This evening I pulled the battery box to clean and paint it. Man am I pissed. Acid has been spilling on almost all of the electronic componants and up inside the connectors. I may be replacing more than the RR. The man I bought this from works on cars. He had to know about this. If I didn't love this bike so much, I'd be paying a visit to this guy.
If there is any advice anyone can give while I work to make this bike roadworthy, I will appreciate it.