Bike wants to stall out? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Bike wants to stall out?

Hello - I need to ask for some help with a problem that started last a few months ago. Whenever I get stuck in bumper traffic (stop & crawl traffic) and the bike is running hot (fan running / bike not over heating) the engine starts wanting to stall out and I have to give a little rev to keep her running.
I'm wondering if this could be the stator or battery. The battery (sealed) is a few years and I do run the bike year round. Any suggestions be most welcome. Thank you!

Mike B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I was having similar issues with mine a few months back...when it stalls can you restart the bike?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Yes when she does stall out I can restart. It might take a few trys. Sort of gotten use to it now so I be lightly reving the bike more and letting off a little on the clutch when it feels like she's gonna stall. Of course this all while sitting stuck in traffic. While driving - no problems! I'm thinking about recharging my wet cell battery and run with that just to see if maybe the problem is my battery.

Mike B.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Old Fart

Garage
What is your idle set at?

Did you move your R/R?

When it is hot like that the bike is not happy sitting there, so really it is kinda expected to blip the throttle some while waiting for a light to change.

With the fan running and idling your not getting a good charge, so you can either keep the rpms up some with the throttle or reach down and set the idle up some.

I just open the throttle a crack till it is running smooth.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

A few months ago I relocated the r/r with Bulldog's kit. Good thought about the idle speed. Will try that for sure. Thanks!

Mike B.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

What most likely is happening is that while you sit at idle with the fan running you are putting a greater than normal load on the generating system. As the load increases due to the fan and now the battery trying to claim its share of the power, it puts a physical load on the engine because the generator is becoming harder to turn with the added load. This causes the rpm to drop which also causes the amount of current available to drop which ends up as a negative feedback loop. Unless you increase the RPM, the engine will stall.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Everything you say sounds right - I forgot to mention that I really feel the stall coming on when I am applying the brake and since that means the light comes on - more power demand on the stator. Thanks for the input!

Mike B.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

All of the above is probably contributing to the problem however I had a similar situation and here's what it was. The manifolds that the carbs mount on feeding the cylinders seem to be rubber. I had an air leak between the carb and the engine. I seem to remember that it was the front cylinder. Whenever the bike warmed up I had eratic idle. After the clamp was tightened the bike ran normally.

If you suspect an electrical problem, I bought the Kuryakyn LED voltmeter (battery monitor) hooked it up between ground and one of the front marker lights. It will tell you how much voltage you're getting at all rpm so you will be able to see for sure. It's small and I mounted mine right above the Kawasaki right above the front of the tank. It's perfect.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Hey Gemguy,
Thanks for the input and I will check that out too. As for the LED voltmeter that is long overdue and will order one from Dennis Kirk. It will be nice to know see how much voltage I'm making from a stop to highway cruising.
Thanks!

Mike B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement